All About Keyser (Pics)

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Hi guys. I figured instead of creating new threads every time I took new pictures, I'd just make one thread to update when I see fit. Seems less messy that way.

For those who remember Keyser, his last appearance here was about 6-months ago ( http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-56520.html ). In this time, he's been growing like crazy, so much so that, after a winter inside, I was forced to expand his outdoor area and, as of yesterday, he now lives outside full time.

His new enclosure:
photo9.jpg

The tarped area is a heated wood structure insulated and full of hay. It seems to work well, as, to my surprise, he goes in by himself at night and comes out by himself at first light.

Enjoying some breakfast:
photo12.jpg

Caught him just about to open his mouth:
photo11.jpg

And finally a shot for size reference (in terms of my hand size, I'm 6"2 and can palm a basketball):
photo10.jpg

I haven't weighed him or measured him in a while, but I'd wager a guess that he's closing in on double digits in pounds. I'm waiting to be "flashed" any day now; I haven't had anyone officially sex him, but the bottom of his shell is fairly concave. I'll get some pictures up soon so ya'll can take your guesses.

Oh, and for those wondering, he's at about 1.5 years.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He is beautiful!! Love his enclosure!
Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Urtle

5 Year Member
Nice! he must love having an outdoor enclosure to himself and he looks to have tons of healthy munchies around, do you ever see him graze? Thats the best feeling in my opinion. :)

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Six-month update! Time really does fly.

Keyser's grown a lot since I first posted him here ( http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-37877.html ). I knew he was going to get big fast, but seeing it actually happen is incredible.

Getting his noms
IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

A cup, for size comparison. He's big enough that he doesn't really notice these things anymore, especially when he's eating.
IMG_2970.JPG

I haven't weighed him in a long time, but he must be over 20 lbs; I know he's much heavier than any of my cats, and I have some fat cats. I'm thinking I should be able to sex him soon though.

Oh, and the crust on his face is just dirt. Actually, there's dirt all over him :D He's taken to digging so much that the sparkle of a soak barely lasts ten minutes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, he looks so grown up just from the first pics on this thread. He is a very beautiful sully.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
just can wait for my sully to get big.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I had a hatchling for 6 years before she was stolen from my yard. :( And I can attest to how fast they grow. But yours seems to be growing faster than she did! She was not much bigger than yours, maybe 5-6" bigger, at 6 years. He is beautiful!!!!
I recently adopted a 17 yr old over 100 lbs, let me warn you (in a fun way) that is a whole different ball game!
But I'm loving every minute of it. Just wish I could figure out how to move the bugger around on my own! :p