His hide's become his toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
So, over the last few weeks, Keyser has stopped defecating during his soaks, and now waits to go in the privacy of his hide. It's a pain in the butt, having to dig out the result, especially when it's fresh.

His soaking water is lukewarm, and he usually gets about 20 minutes a day soaking, along with whatever time he spends in his shallow standing water. Other than the new bathroom he's claimed, he seems fine; he's eating and (obviously) excreting the results.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try soaking him longer and see if he will poop then. Maybe he is just not soaking long enough to get things moving in is few weeks of maturing:D if that doesn't work, he may just have become potty shy:p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Some just like to poop where they sleep, even on hot days I will sometimes have to clean poop out of my big sulcata's house. The hide may be where Keyser feels the safest and thats where he likes to go now...

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Just wait till he gets bigger hehehe
Take a look at this picture that Tom posted for me (hope you don't mind if I borrow real quick Tom:/ )
xf1ea1.jpg

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I'm so glad Cooper is only going in the bath, I hope he don't decide to change his pooing habits!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Thats funny, sorry to hear it keep happening to you, but it is rather funny haha Ted usually goes when i soak him almost every time, even if it is just a little bit, but if i dont soak him, he will eat EVERYTHING out of his food dish, and then poop in there.. pretty much saying "this is what i think of your empty bowl, clean it and give me some more"

he is so funny! and every tort has their own thing, which is why we love them so much!

M

Maggie Cummings

Ha! It takes 4 tortoises squished into a wooden box to put out that little bit of poop??? This is what a real Sulcata puts out. This is one Sulcata poop and look how much urine he puts out. He could go outside and do this, but he would rather poop inside under his basking light so he can laugh while he watches me clean up after him. Please notice how the urine runs around into his hay pile, also note the amount of urates he pushes out...I wish he would drink more water...

x2knee.jpg

fxbj9h.jpg

nn9qqh.jpg

This is a tortoise who knows how to use poop for his entertainment...
sorry for hijacking your thread...I just wanted to show you what you've got to look forward to.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
maggie that is A LOT of pee, but thats a big tort, my little guy pees a lot too.. but he never has that much urates.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Woooowwwww go Bob !!!! Oooo Maggie thats a awesome tortoise you got there...such a unique way of showing just how much he loves you. He knows that if poops outside you wont come out and clean it up..but if he poops in his shed you come out and spend even more time with him cleaning up after him.

More about the OP pooping problem does he poop in the hide no matter where you place it in the enclosure..maybe that is just the spot he wants to poop and because his hide is there that is where his poop ends up..Unlikely though haha

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Maggie is not kidding the bigger the sulcata the bigger the mess is to clean up....

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I have 4 dogs and 3 kids, I ain't afraid of no poop. :D

Seriously though, those pics of Bob should be next to every cage full of baby sulcatas, that's the kind of laws that should be passed.

Back on topic.... I don't try to get them to go poop in a soak, but Peanut and the others tend to do it where they sleep during the day, which is usually out under or near the basking areas. The redfoots seem to do it when they are out and about walking around. It's probably a comfort/security thing for the little ones.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Franklin likes to pop right on his food, as well as in a soak

IRTehDuckie said:
Thats funny, sorry to hear it keep happening to you, but it is rather funny haha Ted usually goes when i soak him almost every time, even if it is just a little bit, but if i dont soak him, he will eat EVERYTHING out of his food dish, and then poop in there.. pretty much saying "this is what i think of your empty bowl, clean it and give me some more"

he is so funny! and every tort has their own thing, which is why we love them so much!
Lmao...so true!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Yes they all do this. It their poop actually isn't so bad for their habitat contrary to popular belief. The poop acts as insulation in their home and it keeps them warm. It's best to clean out the wet ones though.

Status
Not open for further replies.