Buying a New Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Hi guys.

Keyser is crazy big, and is getting bigger, to the extent where his enclosure's container (10"x24") is starting to really tighten up. He's just about hit the point where he can't fit into his hide anymore as well, so, with all this in mind, I think it's about time I get him a larger home.

Somehow I've avoided, to this point, leaking any personal details, but as it is relevant to the story, I guess it's time :D

I've been living at home in California for the past few years, going to a local college, but knew I would be transferring schools this year. I was pretty set on a college a few cities away, and knew that, going there, I would have to move into a small apartment, something I wasn't looking forward to forcing Keyser to deal with. Well, I ended up getting accepted to a better college closer to where I live, and will remain at home for the next few years at least - great news for both Keyser and I!

Now, back to the point. Since I am going to be here for a few years, I'd love something big. I'd also prefer something plastic though, as I worry about wood molding and being harder to clean. I was thinking some sort of christmas tree storage box would be ideal, but I haven't been able to find any such thing. All the typical stores (Walmart, Target, etc) tend to only carry storage boxes with depth, but not actual square feet - nothing that really fits my needs. I also want to avoid glass, as it just makes it more difficult to regulate heat and humidity, in my opinion.

TL;DR I need to find some sort of large living container for my Sulcata. Attached is a picture of basically what I'm looking for, and a bonus picture of Keyser a few months back :tort:

Attachments

• 21ieys6DypL.jpg
    21ieys6DypL.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 431195_10150739911601102_874086529_n.jpg
    431195_10150739911601102_874086529_n.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 68

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
There are a couple of threads on here showing enclosures made by combining multiple totes. This is one of them, the second 'picture' is actually a link to a video that shows the layout better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of those Xmas totes will have to be found online this time of year. More around Xmas you should be able to find them in stores. Glass aquariums work great for heat and humidity, so don't count them out, however they are probably the most expensive route. Wood won't be a problem either. Just line it with a shower curtain or some sort of plastic, or you can paint it or seal it with varnish. Just give enough time for it to dry properly and fumes to disipate. Putting two totes together is what I did. I had one side dry and one side humid and the two connected with a tunnel. Works great. Good luck with your project and don't forget to share it with us:D

OOPS, almost forgot. Keyser looks great.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've looked for those Christmas tree storage totes before, during, and right after Christmas. They seem to be impossible to find now. Ever since they came out with the new storage "bags" they no longer seem to carry these. If anyone finds them, please let me know! No one around me carried them this past Christmas.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Personally, I'd go as big as you can go. It won't be long before he'll be large enough to go outdoors most of the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's not likely that anything you can buy for a sulcata is going to last much more than 12-18 months. Maybe a big kiddie pool would last a little longer... They just get too big too fast. You'll have to build something custom or move them outside with a heated shelter.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Tom said:
It's not likely that anything you can buy for a sulcata is going to last much more than 12-18 months. Maybe a big kiddie pool would last a little longer... They just get too big too fast. You'll have to build something custom or move them outside with a heated shelter.

I've already got the outside exhibit built and ready for when he gets large enough, so that's a bonus.

When he outgrows this next enclosure set, I actually have an old wooden queen-sized water bed frame that I plan to alter into his indoor spot. For now though, something that is overkill. I think going with a combination of the 40-gallon Lowes things will probably work best, although it's starting to look like I'll have to buy another heat lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.