Aldabra diet?

Redfoot!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi, I'm getting a baby aldabra soon, and I'm wondering what to feed it. I heard that they are grass eaters, and I found this fresh cut wheat grass, is it ok to feed them this? Here is a picture: Fresh cut wheat grass.png
I also heard that I can feed them the same things as sulcatas, is this true? Thanks everyone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not an Aldabra keeper, but I can tel you that grass is a good food for them.

When you ask if its okay to feed them the same as a sulcata, I would say yes because of the way I feed my sulcatas, but I think everyone you ask will have a different idea of what to feed sulcatas.

I will defer to anyone with more Aldabra experience than me, but in general they should have a high fiber, high calcium, "natural" diet with lots of weeds and leaves, and some flowers and succulents mixed in. The grass you found there is a great part of a varied diet. I think you better figure out how to grow things yourself pretty quick or you are going to go broke buying little packets of grass. :) Keepers of giant tortoises also need to be gardeners/farmers.

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
I'm not an Aldabra keeper, but I can tel you that grass is a good food for them.

When you ask if its okay to feed them the same as a sulcata, I would say yes because of the way I feed my sulcatas, but I think everyone you ask will have a different idea of what to feed sulcatas.

I will defer to anyone with more Aldabra experience than me, but in general they should have a high fiber, high calcium, "natural" diet with lots of weeds and leaves, and some flowers and succulents mixed in. The grass you found there is a great part of a varied diet. I think you better figure out how to grow things yourself pretty quick or you are going to go broke buying little packets of grass. :) Keepers of giant tortoises also need to be gardeners/farmers.
Wow thanks! I will definitely grow my own plants and grasses. I will check out one of your threads on feeding sulcatas to get an idea on what to feed them. Thanks a lot!

NorCal tortoise guy

Northern California

You nailed it Tom. I feed my Aldabras the same as my sulcatas
High fiber and lots of verity

Reactions: Tom

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Decatur
Ditto, I feed my Aldabras same things as my sulcata, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, spring mix, opuntia cactus, mazuri , fresh grass and weeds, pumpkin, green bell pepper , lots of different things from Kapidolo farms , rose of Sharon leaves and blooms,. They have aloe, spider plants and coleus in there indoor enclosures, they nibble on them sometimes
They love mazuri pellets, I soak em in hot water, mix in some moringa or dandelion leaves, chop up some opuntia cactus pads and mix it up, they love it.

Attachments

• 1191EE04-0970-4B34-A61F-FE7D3E1E0E09.jpeg
    1191EE04-0970-4B34-A61F-FE7D3E1E0E09.jpeg
    614.7 KB · Views: 14