Air flow question

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So I'm repurposing an old baby changing station into my new baby Redfoot table. I'm makeing and enclosed table to keep the humidity up but don't know how muck to leave open for air flow and where to make the holes. I don't want so much open that it won't hold humidity but don't want too little that my little guy suficates. Please help, he's my 1st tort and I want him to have the best life possible.

It's 36" wide 19" deep and 28" tall.

Attached is a sneak peek pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I would suggest a very small number holes, then see what suits you best. Just remember you can always add more holes (you can't remove them). Just a beginner so please wait for professional advice! :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah, I'm just afraid of too small a hole and him dying from no air flow.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
I had this worry in the past, and then @Tom reassured me that this isn't a problem. Between you opening the enclosure to feed, soak, and change the water; there is a sufficient amount of air flow. If they can last for a day in a box for shipping, they can last a day in a large enclosure until you open it up.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can also try a screen top, but they should be fine. Looks very big, nice!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
A screen top will out me right back in the same spot of not holding humidity. Plus the box is not sealed completely tight. I left small gaps in the ply wood

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I recommend you don't add any holes. I never add any in my chambers.
Like stated above, the tort will have enough air.

Some people are against closed chambers for just this reason, so you'll have to weigh the pros and cons yourself to be confident in your decision.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I have holes and a huge open square but it still smells like rotten eggs so I bought little computer fans from Walmart and mounted then in the tank.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Okay so no holes. The whole statement about living for shipment and opening I everyday make sense. I bought some trim pieces to close up the gaps I left in the wood.

There is a loft with a ramp. That is where his basking spot will be. I cut all kinds of grooves into the ramp for traction an out a safety rail on the side so he can't fall off (safety first you know). I also put a little plant shelf in the corner to add some flare. Then I stained the exterior side to match the color of the existing changing table.

Should I do anything to the inside to help prevent mold? I like the idea of a fan to circulate air. Anything else you see I should or shouldn't be doing?

Half of the kid will be soild (basking lamp will mount under it) and the other half will be plexiglass top. The entire face will be plexiglass too. I got some strip magnets so that's how all the glass will be held in place. When I wan to open to feed to clean it out I can just pop the entire front face off the snap it back in place. Here are a few more pics, sorry that some are dark but I didn't get finished for the day until 11:00 tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg