Aggressive tortoise

DeeDee93

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire
Hi all, my tortoise is around 1.5 - 2 years old. For the past 3/4 weeks now she has become quite aggressive. She chases, head butts and lunges at my hand, bitten me once. I read online it’s most likely her food intake but she has plenty of fresh food and water daily, so i don’t think it’s that. (I’m saying she but possibly a he).
Anyone got any ideas as to why she’s suddenly acting like this? I’m puzzled!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, my tortoise is around 1.5 - 2 years old. For the past 3/4 weeks now she has become quite aggressive. She chases, head butts and lunges at my hand, bitten me once. I read online it’s most likely her food intake but she has plenty of fresh food and water daily, so i don’t think it’s that. (I’m saying she but possibly a he).
Anyone got any ideas as to why she’s suddenly acting like this? I’m puzzled!
Many of the male Testudo will behave this way. It can increase in spring time too.

The solution is easy: Just move your hand out from in front of the tortoise.

DeeDee93

Yorkshire
She probably isn't a she...
I’ve never sexed a tortoise but after comparing a lot of tail pictures it does look like she’s a female 🤔 time will tell I guess! Hopefully this aggressive phase will pass.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I’ve never sexed a tortoise but after comparing a lot of tail pictures it does look like she’s a female 🤔 time will tell I guess! Hopefully this aggressive phase will pass.
They need to be about 3-5 years before you can tell that way. My guess is you have a male hitting puberty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They all look female wen they are juveniles. It takes years for the hormones to begin flowing and the secondary sexual characteristics to begin to show.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It could well be a female. While it is more normal for aggression from a male, a few females also are aggressive.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I may be getting this wrong, but I think Zeropilot had a female he had to rehome cause she was a monster B!tch.

DeeDee93

Yorkshire
She used to be lovely natured, it was a shock how quick she changed! Speedy too, I’d never seen a tortoise move so quick 😂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It could well be a female. While it is more normal for aggression from a male, a few females also are aggressive.
I've seen a few females that were highly aggressive toward other tortoises, but I haven't ever seen a female that was aggressive toward people. Have you? Please share the details. I'd love to hear it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I've seen a few females that were highly aggressive toward other tortoises, but I haven't ever seen a female that was aggressive toward people. Have you? Please share the details. I'd love to hear it.
Personally I have a young female sulcata, maybe 40-50 pound range. She is human aggressive.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Personally I have a young female sulcata, maybe 40-50 pound range. She is human aggressive.
As for female Russians I recall chatting with a person in some tortoise group about the human aggressive one she had. That female was a large one who hated everyone, tortoise, human, canine
So you too I think.

Don't recall other instances.

Reactions: Tom

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As for female Russians I recall chatting with a person in some tortoise group about the human aggressive one she had. That female was a large one who hated everyone, tortoise, human, canine

Don't recall other instances.
T