After much research - outdoor CDT enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

debryman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Joshua Tree, CA
It is still in progress but here's what we have so far:

image.jpg

They are in my chicken yard and have netting over the top. I will be adding more plants and will be doing something different for food and water area. They really like it though which I hope is a good sign...

Here is another angle:

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love it! And I really like the cave. Do you plan to toss some grass seed in there? Be sure to not feed the tortoises directly on the sand.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
I feed them on a terra cotta dish. As far as the grass...it's almost impossible to grow grass out here. I am looking for native "grasses" and hope to find something that will work here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought that bermuda grass would grow anyplace. It's very tough, and originally from Africa. Have you tried bermuda...NOT the bermuda sod, as that's hybrid bermuda. But plain old bermuda from seed.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Yvonne G said:
I thought that bermuda grass would grow anyplace. It's very tough, and originally from Africa. Have you tried bermuda...NOT the bermuda sod, as that's hybrid bermuda. But plain old bermuda from seed.

If I can find it - ill definitely try it!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Great enclosure. I noticed some tracks around the tree . Is it from the tort?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Nice enclosure! FWIW, I've had luck with fescue grass in my outdoor CDT enclosure. It's very drought tolerant. My CDTs seem to like not only eating it but hiding under it and getting a little indirect sun. We also planted some rice flower, another drought tolerant plant they like, which is the pink one you can see in the foreground of this picture (the grasses are in the back). We started out with sand but switched to dirt on the advice of folks here. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368150089.995657.jpg

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
sibi said:

Those are probably from me. I had been in there planting and just kinda hanging with the kids (torts) :eek:)

thatrebecca said:
Nice enclosure! FWIW, I've had luck with fescue grass in my outdoor CDT enclosure. It's very drought tolerant. My CDTs seem to like not only eating it but hiding under it and getting a little indirect sun. We also planted some rice flower, another drought tolerant plant they like, which is the pink one you can see in the foreground of this picture (the grasses are in the back). We started out with sand but switched to dirt on the advice of folks here.

Here is a pic of our home area:

image.jpg

As you can see, not a lot of grass anywhere here. I am gonna try though, just have to keep it watered. Ill let y'all know how it goes. I was wondering, do you keep yours outside all the time? Mine have been and seem to be good but just wondering what others do...

debryman said:
sibi said:

Those are probably from me. I had been in there planting and just kinda hanging with the kids (torts) :eek:)

thatrebecca said:
Nice enclosure! FWIW, I've had luck with fescue grass in my outdoor CDT enclosure. It's very drought tolerant. My CDTs seem to like not only eating it but hiding under it and getting a little indirect sun. We also planted some rice flower, another drought tolerant plant they like, which is the pink one you can see in the foreground of this picture (the grasses are in the back). We started out with sand but switched to dirt on the advice of folks here.

Here is a pic of our home area:

As you can see, not a lot of grass anywhere here. I am gonna try though, just have to keep it watered. Ill let y'all know how it goes. I was wondering, do you keep yours outside all the time? Mine have been and seem to be good but just wondering what others do...

P.S. That pic is from today. We had an AWESOME rainstorm!!

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Thanks so much for the links! I'm looking forward to giving grasses a whirl. As for the desert plants, I have many of them right out side my yard so a hunting I will go for more stuff! Thanks again and glad y'all like my enclosure!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
right out side my yard so a hunting I will go for more stuff!

Absolutely....just remember, some of the bush plants and tree plants have a tremendous time once they are dug out ---usually will die a slow sad death....so if you see one you think is rockin, suggest you go and research the plant and its transplant info....:D

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
ascott said:
right out side my yard so a hunting I will go for more stuff!

Absolutely....just remember, some of the bush plants and tree plants have a tremendous time once they are dug out ---usually will die a slow sad death....so if you see one you think is rockin, suggest you go and research the plant and its transplant info....:D

I will - thank you!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you water it it will grow... I get Pasture grass seed at the local Nursery and toss it in the enclosures... water and let it grow....
some are even drought resistant..

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Very nice enclosure! I was wondering about the tracks around the tree too. Good luck with the grasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.