Advise Please on "Spring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: To be on the safe side, i would like any ideas or Suggestions Please to what time of the year actually "Month" the Beginning of "spring" in (NY) should i start bringing my tortoises outside to their pen to be on the safe side with weather? (I have Russians & Pancakes). :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Every year, twice a year, I go through what I call the ins and outs of Spring, and the ins and outs of autumn. In the Spring, on nice days, I take everyone outside in the morning and bring them all back in at night. Same thing in Autumn. When it starts getting cold, I bring them in at night and back out in the morning.

You are the one who has to decide if its warm enough for them to go outside. There is no clock or date to help you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Every year, twice a year, I go through what I call the ins and outs of Spring, and the ins and outs of autumn. In the Spring, on nice days, I take everyone outside in the morning and bring them all back in at night. Same thing in Autumn. When it starts getting cold, I bring them in at night and back out in the morning.

You are the one who has to decide if its warm enough for them to go outside. There is no clock or date to help you.

I really dislike those times of year.... so does my back. :(

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: last year i did that every day just like you explained it emysemys! and i only had 5 tortoises this year there's 13 tortoises :) I'm with you Jacqui on the Back issue! "Dam i figure one more year and ill have my house and be able to make a permanent out/indoor enclosure like the one i want and have in mind! :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Remember the Russians can also start staying out sooner and longer then your pancakes, so that will help a bit.

Also if you make heated houses for them outside, then at night you can lock them up in those.... if you can find them before they bury in for the night. :D

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Remember the Russians can also start staying out sooner and longer then your pancakes, so that will help a bit.

Also if you make heated houses for them outside, then at night you can lock them up in those.... if you can find them before they bury in for the night. :D

:tort: Jacqui try trying to find 13 of these guys in here! and this is not even finished wait till i put the plants in and Bushes.:tort:

grogansilver said:
Jacqui said:

:tort: Jacqui try trying to find 13 of these guys in here! and this is not even finished wait till i put the plants in and Bushes.:tort:

:tort: and when i do go to get them they hate being picked up! look at this picture so true!!!! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.