"Why" ? tortoises are eating? and others are Not? "whats the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: Can someone please explain to me why? is it that every morning when i put the lettuce in their Enclosure's the pancakes "hide" and stay sleeping, "maybe" just one will come out to eat if I'm lucky but it's the Russians that are always there in the morning waiting by the food rock, just waiting for me to drop in that food! "aren't the the Russians their the one's that are suppose to be sleeping the winter away and not be awake? and isn't it the pancakes that are suppose to be active and waiting for the food? i just don't get it? why are the pancakes trying to sleep winter away? and the Russians are up? :tort:

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: Is it possibly that the pancake Tortoises i got still have not settled down from being wild caught yet? and if this is the case, "well i just added into their Environment another 1.1 Adult pair of CB Pancakes torts which are well established and this should maybe loosen the whole group up? and that is if these tortoises tend to follow each other? supposedly as far as i have read in many places they say Pancake tortoises tend to like being in groups an like to socialize together! :tort:

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pancakes!! They cannot be compared to any other species of tortoises! Our pancakes come out and eat when they feel like it. This time a year, that may be every day, it may be every other day or even every third day.
In my experience, I do think Pancakes are one of the most social species of tortoise. That does not mean that they will all follow a leader like cows to the milking barn. Adding CB animals to WC animals will never "loosen" the group up. It could do the exact opposite and stress the WC animals even more. WC animals are very prone to stress. Just imagine what they have been through. Any change you make will only add to that stress!! How long have you had the WC animals? Do you have any idea of who had them before you and when exactly they were imported? If they have been in captivity any less than several years, they likely have not settled.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Tim/Robin said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pancakes!! They cannot be compared to any other species of tortoises! Our pancakes come out and eat when they feel like it. This time a year, that may be every day, it may be every other day or even every third day.
In my experience, I do think Pancakes are one of the most social species of tortoise. That does not mean that they will all follow a leader like cows to the milking barn. Adding CB animals to WC animals will never "loosen" the group up. It could do the exact opposite and stress the WC animals even more. WC animals are very prone to stress. Just imagine what they have been through. Any change you make will only add to that stress!! How long have you had the WC animals? Do you have any idea of who had them before you and when exactly they were imported? If they have been in captivity any less than several years, they likely have not settled.
:tort: Hello Tim & Robin nice hearing from you again these Pancakes i believe have been imported into this country for about 2-3 months straight from Africa! they do eat i can tell you that! their is really no signs of stress! their health is fine! and they have been treated for worms and parasite so thats out of the question! these guys and girls just like to hide all the time thats mainly it, but what i have been working with on them is every time its feeding time i usually take them out and put them in front of this large area of food i lay them down in front of it in which they do eat but if i don't do this every time, they just wont come out at all! believe me this! its is a lot of time and effort i do put into these guys they do keep me busy! so far the one of the four in the group is starting to come out and eat, take some heat and go back into hiding which is fine! in which way id like to know can it be stressful by adding to a group that has only been together 2-3 months a CB 1.1 Adult pair into the environment, i figured it would benefit to the others by introducing CB which are more established and calmed down! but i do have a question for you because i do like your advise in some areas of pancakes! what do you feel is there best substrate they would prefer to live on as pancakes i do see sand and rock a lot just have to ask your opinion thanks Tim & Robin. :tort:

grogansilver

5 Year Member
grogansilver said:
Tim/Robin said:
:tort: Hello Tim & Robin nice hearing from you again these Pancakes i believe have been imported into this country for about 2-3 months straight from Africa! they do eat i can tell you that! their is really no signs of stress! their health is fine! and they have been treated for worms and parasite so thats out of the question! these guys and girls just like to hide all the time thats mainly it, but what i have been working with on them is every time its feeding time i usually take them out and put them in front of this large area of food i lay them down in front of it in which they do eat but if i don't do this every time, they just wont come out at all! believe me this! its is a lot of time and effort i do put into these guys they do keep me busy! so far the one of the four in the group is starting to come out and eat, take some heat and go back into hiding which is fine! in which way id like to know can it be stressful by adding to a group that has only been together 2-3 months a CB 1.1 Adult pair into the environment, i figured it would benefit to the others by introducing CB which are more established and calmed down! but i do have a question for you because i do like your advise in some areas of pancakes! what do you feel is there best substrate they would prefer to live on as pancakes i do see sand and rock a lot just have to ask your opinion thanks Tim & Robin. :tort:
:tort: PS: you see that picture i submitted in this thread of my Russians together eating, well they were wild caught at one time except for two which were CB and i introduced them to the group! after that it did take me quite some time, "awhile" for me to get them to the point at where their at now to come together every morning and eat i put them on a routine (trained) them to be like this it is possible, it can be done! its just those Pancakes are stubborn but i will break them down eventually! and in time they will be the best group out there, it just takes time! :tort:

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I simply don't see the need to do this!! Let them be! I promise you it is stressful to them to be moved around. Also, don't try to make them something they are not. You won't win in the long haul. They are not puppies, they don't need to be trained! If you want to be successful breeding them, let them do their thing! As for substrate, I like aspen!

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Tim/Robin said:
I simply don't see the need to do this!! Let them be! I promise you it is stressful to them to be moved around. Also, don't try to make them something they are not. You won't win in the long haul. They are not puppies, they don't need to be trained! If you want to be successful breeding them, let them do their thing! As for substrate, I like aspen!
okay bye,

Status
Not open for further replies.