Advice when looking for a breeder

M0rdrid

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello,

I've been looking into caring for tortoise and turtles for a while now, and I finally decieded that I think an Ornate Box Turtle would be perfect for me. And even though it'll probably be another year or so before I get one. I wanted to ask for any advice people have for finding a reputable breeder.

I'm finding a few that do have Ornate Box Turtles, but I'm also seeing some reviews saying they are wild caught rather than captive bred. It's hard to tell at first glance if a breeder is legit or not from their website, so I wanted to ask for additional help, even if it's just you saying who you have blacklisted for some reason or another.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hello,

I've been looking into caring for tortoise and turtles for a while now, and I finally decieded that I think an Ornate Box Turtle would be perfect for me. And even though it'll probably be another year or so before I get one. I wanted to ask for any advice people have for finding a reputable breeder.

I'm finding a few that do have Ornate Box Turtles, but I'm also seeing some reviews saying they are wild caught rather than captive bred. It's hard to tell at first glance if a breeder is legit or not from their website, so I wanted to ask for additional help, even if it's just you saying who you have blacklisted for some reason or another.
Ornate box turtles are not the best choice for a first turtle. Some live happily for many years but some others can be very hard to keep. For your first box turtle I would recommend a three toed or eastern box. They are the most hardy of the group and if they are cared for properly can live for decades in captivity. There are usually some adult easterns available for adoption from the Mid Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society. If you are set on buying a hatchling or young turtle I would contact Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise.

m irwin

Dallas
I agree 100% with "PJay" above - Ornate's are NOT a first time box turtle to get - they are much more difficult to care for than Three Toed's (TT). I have never had an Eastern so can't comment on that. I have both Ornate's and TT's for years and have never had to bring a TT to the vet. Never. Ornate's - many times. Ornate's are much more prone to upper raspatory ailments, closed eyes, bubbles from nose, not eating, etc... . I would go with a Three-Toed as a first box turtle - plus they are easier to find for sale. Just my 2 cents.