Acquired a female ornate box turtle and looking for pointers

Marci Montoya

20170508_191304.jpg 20170508_191304.jpg 20170508_190545.jpg Hello! I am a new turtle owner and I was looking for advice on what to do. My friend found an ornate box turtle in her yard and it has chew marks on her shell. She didn't want to keep her and knew I have been wanting a box turtle so she gave her to me. I put Neosporin on the worst spots and I am trying to find a vet that will care for turtles but until then what else can I do for her? Also looking for advice on what else I can add to her home. See pictures below. Thanks in advance for responded. I am pretty sure she is female.

Attachments

• 20170508_190509.jpg
    20170508_190509.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20170508_191224.jpg
    20170508_191224.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20170508_190509.jpg
    20170508_190509.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i'd paint it with betadine , povidone , once or twice ....... chlorhexadine works well and you could use it more often .........

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
What a survivor! Something spent some time and energy trying to get into that box turtles shell. It has a lot of color on its head. Post some pictures of its tail and vent area for a more positive sex determination.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marci and welcome!

It looks like the dog chew marks are old. I doubt you need to do anything about them. Also, I THINK, but am not sure, that the green headed ornata are the males, not females.

Greta16

Western Maine
I'm no expert, just wanted to tell you, I love the set up! If I was a turtle I'd want to live in it. If he's in it all the time maybe a cover of some sort?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
try to show us a pic of the underside of it's tail. it looks male to me, but if we see the underside of the tail we can tell better.

Marci Montoya

Other than the chew marks does he look healthy? I have tried giving him green beans yesterday and grapes today I don't think he has ate. I'm going to try works tomorrow if I don't see any grapes gone.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It looks like a healthy turtle! It's in a new situation, its stressed and may not eat for a while. Earthworms, especially night crawlers, are a good bet to try with an Ornate. Like Yvonne, I was prepared to say it was a male based on the skin color but I'm beginning to agree with you; the eyes show no hint of red and the tail is a on the smaller side. We need a picture of the underside of the tail where it comes out from the shell. The vent, where the poop comes out, on a female will be closer to the edge of the shell, the males vent will be further out from the shell edge and the tail is larger than the females.

You should enter that last photo in the next TFO calendar contest!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Other than the chew marks does he look healthy? I have tried giving him green beans yesterday and grapes today I don't think he has ate. I'm going to try works tomorrow if I don't see any grapes gone.
try worms ........ might be a wild caught turtle , and it was chewed up by a dog recently , which can traumatize them for a period of time ............