Advice on Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, UK
Hey People!

I've attached a few photo of my tortoise enclosure...it's abit bare I know...that's what I want help with - I'm just wondering what could I put in to make it look more appealing and more beneficial for my tortoise.

The substrate is a layer of coir and then a mixture of topsoil and sand on top. The white light a ZooMed Mercury Vapour Bulb, and the other is a Infra-red. The water bowl is only a temp solution atm and will be more solid in the future. The slab is where his food goes :)

The dimensions are 6ftx3ftx1.5ft .... he's very spoilt!
Cheers,
TM

Attachments

• DSCF0648.JPG
    DSCF0648.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0649.JPG
    DSCF0649.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0650.JPG
    DSCF0650.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a good size enclosure. But how about a hiding place or two. Maybe one on either end? You can also put in some potted plants. Bury the pot down into the substrate as far as it will go. A decorative rock might look nice.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
I was planning on doing that in the future - but what would be the best way to do it? as that hide is an old rabbit toy which i had kicking around the house!

Also what plants would be suitable? And is there any rocks that I shouldn't use, as I know for other reptiles certain rocks cannot be used due to varying reason, would it be the same as that situation?

Cheers.
TM

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises want a secure 'hide' to sleep in and sort of live in. They want it to feel secure and be dark. So basically you want a hide to be just barely bigger than the tortoise. Then as they grow you manufacture a bigger hide. I'd add a small plant pot tipped on it's side, some large rocks to climb on maybe a big branch to mess with.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Good, I Would Def Add A Hide, and Some Furntiure Decorations, Maybe Some Real Plants

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
Here is a few more picture with a new set of planters and his new hide! I've got a few more bits and bobs to go in terms of decor. The plants have got spider plants - and I've got another planter for another species of plant to put in.

But my question are that can I use Artificial Plants as I have a few left over from an old pet?

Cheers,
Josh ( TM )

Attachments

• DSCF0651.JPG
    DSCF0651.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0652.JPG
    DSCF0652.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 20

CheerAngel8

5 Year Member
Orange County, Ca
I know this may sound stupid but my aunt has a tort and hers liked it. 2 words. Plant Grass. If you ad grenery to it, the :tort: will have something to munch on. It will also look nice. Just no pesticideds or harmful/toxic plants

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can use artificial plants (make sure they are cleaned thoroughly).
You can use real plants like Pothos, Spider plant, Xmas cactus, Aloe, pansy, sedum. Make sure they are in a heavy pot and submerged in the substrate. Torts are bulldozers so don't be discouraged if you have to reorganize things often. That means they are having fun ;)
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
Carolina Pet Supply has a Russian Seed Mix (good for all med torts) on sale, free shipping right now.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590

Status
Not open for further replies.