Advice about store & wrong info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
I got my tortoise at petsmart and they told me the tortoise was a greek and was a female. The lady even told me how to tell the sex and that was by if they have a flat round bottom shell its a female and if there is a bump its a male. Well since I join the forum I've learned a lot. I have a russian and she is really a he. Finding this all out I decided to call them to let them know but it seems like every time I call to talk to the manager that is in charge of the that department she is never there or I just missed her. I believe she is the one that even gave me the info on my tortoise I would really only know is if I see her again. What i am really getting to is if I should keep trying to get a hold of her? What would you do?
Had to share the picture my son loves the tortoise he says its a baby shhhh! Lol
Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1376751572696.jpg
    1376751572696.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 106

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I need some advice on what I should do about petsmart telling me wrong information.

felicia9211 said:
I got my tortoise at petsmart and they told me the tortoise was a greek and was a female. The lady even told me how to tell the sex and that was by if they have a flat round bottom shell its a female and if there is a bump its a male. Well since I join the forum I've learned a lot. I have a russian and she is really a he. Finding this all out I decided to call them to let them know but it seems like every time I call to talk to the manager that is in charge of the that department she is never there or I just missed her. I believe she is the one that even gave me the info on my tortoise I would really only know is if I see her again. What i am really getting to is if I should keep trying to get a hold of her? What would you do?
Had to share the picture my son loves the tortoise he says its a baby shhhh! Lol

Keep trying and ask to talk to the General Manager.

Go to the Corporate website and give a short concise explanation of the problem and your inability to reach a store manager. I bet you get a reply from her real quick that way.

Don't give up. Life has given you an opportunity to make a difference. Go the extra mile and do whatever it takes so that others don't get the same bad advice you did.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: store clerk giving out wrong info

You could write a nice, calm letter to the corporate offices letting them know how uneducated their clerks are.

Writing it all out serves to calm you down quite a bit. After you've gotten it all written out, you may even decide you don't need to mail it.

The people who need the good info the most are the ones who are brand new to turtles and tortoises. Most of us realize that the pet store clerks really don't know much.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
I need some advice on what I should do about petsmart telling me wrong informat

Agree with Tom. I also was given miss information when I bought my Russian - not as far off as yours but they are uneducated.

Secondly I am glad you didn't let this detour from keeping him. Russians are great and I'm so glad I have mine.

Lastly very cute picture :)

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
RE: store clerk giving out wrong info

Go to petsmart.com and use the store locator to find the store number (the actual store number, not the phone number).

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
RE:Advice about store & wrong info

I agree about going to corporate. In our local chain pet store they had two small Hermanns tortoises in a 20 long tank with a huge death trap water bowl, a feed dish, and substrate. No hides whatsoever. The poor things were trying to hide underneath the food dish. I emailed corporate about it. Later that day I got an email back from the local store manager. The next time I went in to the store they had them in a not great but better 40 gallon breeder with a large hide stuffed with hay to burrow into. Sometimes speaking up helps!

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much. I will be giving the big guys lol a call first thing monday morning. What they had him in was so small :(.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Someone needs to be the voice of the animal. Nothing will change if nobody ever says any thing . I think they need to keep up with the research. If you are a computer programmer you have to keep with the new stuff. If you are a pet store sales person why not know what you are selling. Thats whats wrong with the world today nobody goes the extra mile to learn there craft . Where is the pride in what you do . Its not only making a paycheck.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
As far as the clerks know, it is a turtle, and always a female for some reason. To give them partial credit, the torts tend to have been wormed, and they are greedily eating at the times I have been in. Yet, there are the signs of overcrowded wild caught shipments if y.ou look closely. The shells will show more wear and scratching a. Ask if they were wild caught and you will be told that they are captive bred. From what breeder? No one can or will answer that question. It is unfortunate, but training is weak. If your tort is happy and healthy, count your blessings.

tiffanyluvstorts

5 Year Member
Exact thing happened to me and after joining this forum I learned I have a male and a female. Now I have to build a second enclosure. Ugh. Makes me mad that they act like they know and tell u all the wrong things!! So frustrating. Thank goodness for this forum

My babies 4 humans, 4 doggies, 2 Russians, 1 leopard gecko, 1 tarantula and a hermit crab. [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Yeah i am sure mine was wild caught, his shell is a little ruff looking. How would a wild one act like compared to one that was from a breeder?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would rather them tell me I don't know Than all the wrong stuff. Give out a web site or something don't act like you know when you don't.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: Advice about store & wrong info.

mike taylor said:
I would rather them tell me I don't know Than all the wrong stuff. Give out a web site or something don't act like you know when you don't.

I think they are often trained wrong, so they think they do know (but don't). I'm sure management tells them they are captive bred.

Sometimes you get one of our wonderful forum members as your clerk though! (Not me)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

felicia9211

5 Year Member
So I called petsmart one last time I did get to talk to the lady abd all she was doing was blaming her employees saying the lady that help us was not really trained in that area. We had two ppl helping us. First one witch I believe is the lady thats the manger in the department and shes the one that told as the sex and the type. She went on saying that they don't lable them as greek or Russian they just group them all as genus testudo. She said the breeder is a mac. She also said that the torts age is about a year guessing. My tort looks older then a year to me. How long does it take for a Russian tort to reach 4in shell?

Does anyone know any info on mac? I looked at Petsmart site and they sell a lot of mac products was she lying to me?

Attachments

• 1376935069255.jpg
    1376935069255.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.