adult leopard tortoise temperatures

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I see a lot of information on raising leopard tortoises but I am wondering if there is a care sheet for adults? What temperatures can they handle outside safely as adults? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its not just a number. When determining what temp is safe to put them outside, there are several factors to consider. Wind, recent rain, ground temp, what percentage of the enclosure is shaded, etc... On a dry day with no recent rain, and last night wasn't too cold, light or no wind, full sun and lots of sunny areas in the enclosure, then 60 degrees might be warm enough. Cold night, wet cold ground, patchy sun, heavy shade in the enclosure, then I might wait until it was 75 outside to put a them out. Adults can generally handle cooler temps, but you should also watch the tortoise's behavior. If the tortoise is out grazing, basking and moving around, then it is probably warm enough. If the tortoise goes and parks under a bush and goes to sleep, then it might be too cold, and pointless to put them outside.

Having a proper heated night box is a factor too. They can tolerate cooler temps if they have a heated shelter to return to between foraging forays.