Feeding baby leopard tort

JoeyA95

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I just acquired a young leopard tortoise and I'm wondering if it needs anything specific? Ive read that for feeding adults I should go with grass, dandelion, spring mix and the like. Is it the same for babies?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Yes it is the same. Most babies though won't eat grass, but if you can get them to eat it, it's a good thing. Feed as big a variety as possible. Also read our caresheets and closed chamber thread written by Tom. Most info out there is bad and outdated. They need to be housed with high humidity, 80% and temps no lower then 80 day and night with a basking spot of 95-100. Do not use coil type UVB bulbs and Che's are best for night heat. Coconut coir or orchid bark are good substrates to use. Soak baby daily in warm water for 20-30 minutes keeping it warm the whole time. Keep a low sided water dish available 24/7 and feed as much as the baby can eat and do not raise in a small enclosure. At least a 2x4 to start and or larger then larger around a year or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just acquired a young leopard tortoise and I'm wondering if it needs anything specific? Ive read that for feeding adults I should go with grass, dandelion, spring mix and the like. Is it the same for babies?

Regular leopards aren't much into grass. You can offer it, but don't be surprised if the tortoise isn't in to it. I typed this up for sulcatas, but if you just scroll down and skip the text there is a good list of things to feed them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

These might have some helpful info too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

JoeyA95

Oregon
Thank you both! I went and picked up some collard greens, kale and turnip sprouts and I have that in there. I have her in a big container with a good substrtrate and moss mixture, and I have the heat and uv sources. We've been spraying the moss with a water bottle but the humidity dropped down to the 50s(which I though was acceptable?)
Also I've read some conflicting things, is fruit okay to give occasionally?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you both! I went and picked up some collard greens, kale and turnip sprouts and I have that in there. I have her in a big container with a good substrtrate and moss mixture, and I have the heat and uv sources. We've been spraying the moss with a water bottle but the humidity dropped down to the 50s(which I though was acceptable?)
Also I've read some conflicting things, is fruit okay to give occasionally?

I would not feed them fruit.

Read those threads. They will explain all the info about humidity, temps and what equipment to use or avoid.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Heat and Humidity is impossible to maintain in an open topped enclosure. My first baby enclosure was a glass terrarium that I hooked a fogger up to. Then they went into a converted coffee table with a glass lid that closed. The enclosure should be close to airtight to hold the humidity and the heat that you put in at a nice steady rate. The air will be recirculated every time you open the enclosure which will be once or twice a day to feed them and to soak them. The third enclosure was a 200 gallon aquarium and I got Plexiglass cut to fit for the top.

I mention all this because your first enclosure is never going to be your best effort. The second enclosure that you have is much easier to put together because you've already figured out what you've done wrong. the third, fourth and fifth enclosures are just plain fun!

Baby leopards (baby tortoises in general) need high humidity and high heat. If you search 'closed chamber' in the search bar above you'll learn exactly what needs done.

You need to get him set up right as quickly as possible because babies are very fragile and can easily die. If I had known I would not have gotten babies. They're a pain.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
One thing I figured out while my little one was struggling to survive, was that it helps if the food they eat are in small pieces. Mine had truble biting off the food, so when he pooped there were some very long strands of grass nerves (the part of the grass where water flows) that kept him from having a nice poop. Smaller pieces are easier to eat (I don't think torts have teeth) and they are also easier to poop out.

I don't know if biting off is a problem for all baby torts, or just a problem for the sick ones. Either way... make it easier for your little one and chop chop that food :)

JoeyA95

Oregon
Heat and Humidity is impossible to maintain in an open topped enclosure. My first baby enclosure was a glass terrarium that I hooked a fogger up to. Then they went into a converted coffee table with a glass lid that closed. The enclosure should be close to airtight to hold the humidity and the heat that you put in at a nice steady rate. The air will be recirculated every time you open the enclosure which will be once or twice a day to feed them and to soak them. The third enclosure was a 200 gallon aquarium and I got Plexiglass cut to fit for the top.

I mention all this because your first enclosure is never going to be your best effort. The second enclosure that you have is much easier to put together because you've already figured out what you've done wrong. the third, fourth and fifth enclosures are just plain fun!

Baby leopards (baby tortoises in general) need high humidity and high heat. If you search 'closed chamber' in the search bar above you'll learn exactly what needs done.

You need to get him set up right as quickly as possible because babies are very fragile and can easily die. If I had known I would not have gotten babies. They're a pain.
Thanks. I got her from a small reptile store in my town where my partner and I have been volunteering. We told them how we were going to set it up and they didn't mention needing a closed top. This is her current set up. There's a screen on top of a big container. Since I can't afford to go buy a new closed top enclosure, would draping towels over the screen work?(except where the lights are) I've been spraying the screen and letting the water drop from that and that actually seems to be helping the humidity stay up! Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Towels won't work. Lowe's Home Depot or some other hardware store sells plexiglass. most of the time they cut it to size for you also. I would cut one an inch or two bigger than the top and lay it on top of the screen. When they cut it have them leave a corner cut out for your lamp. Putting it on top of the screen will help with stability (especially if you can attach it together) as well as provide a screen for your lamp to sit on. Until you get that done I've seen people here use aluminum foil over the screen top. I think they had to duct tape it to get a real good seal. They probably just left a little corner open to get access.. pet store people don't know anything about tortoises except what they're told to try and sell. Here on the tortoise forum there's a lot of people with experience on tortoises and know what not to do. For instance those ramped water bowls that they sell at the pet stores? tipping hazards... People here on the Forum know that because tortoises have tipped over into the water upside down.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
One way to do it is to use a clear heavy duty shower curtain. It holds and humidity and heat will. And you can still see through it.

JoeyA95

Oregon
Towels won't work. Lowe's Home Depot or some other hardware store sells plexiglass. most of the time they cut it to size for you also. I would cut one an inch or two bigger than the top and lay it on top of the screen. When they cut it have them leave a corner cut out for your lamp. Putting it on top of the screen will help with stability (especially if you can attach it together) as well as provide a screen for your lamp to sit on. Until you get that done I've seen people here use aluminum foil over the screen top. I think they had to duct tape it to get a real good seal. They probably just left a little corner open to get access.. pet store people don't know anything about tortoises except what they're told to try and sell. Here on the tortoise forum there's a lot of people with experience on tortoises and know what not to do. For instance those ramped water bowls that they sell at the pet stores? tipping hazards... People here on the Forum know that because tortoises have tipped over into the water upside down.
Thanks! I'll try the foil for now until I can get some glass

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Read in new posts thread "well, hereeeees mo". They have a baby and have a cool set up they bought online from home Depot...
Here's what they bought...
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lifetime-4-ft-x-4-ft-Two-Raised-Garden-Beds-with-One-Tent-Enclosure-60053/202963931?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=sm7U3qctY|dm_mtid_8903jx325196_pcrid_107016512728_pkw__pmt__product_202963931_slid_&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQy1U9DzF2v32L6XLX4Du_90Ti_oavYl5mBQFx9a4o38aAvjN8P8HAQ

They showed the growth of their baby(before and after pic)and it was very smoooooooth.
I've used these...they are great!!!!

JoeyA95

Oregon
Read in new posts thread "well, hereeeees mo". They have a baby and have a cool set up they bought online from home Depot...
Here's what they bought...
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lifetime-4-ft-x-4-ft-Two-Raised-Garden-Beds-with-One-Tent-Enclosure-60053/202963931?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=sm7U3qctY|dm_mtid_8903jx325196_pcrid_107016512728_pkw__pmt__product_202963931_slid_&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQy1U9DzF2v32L6XLX4Du_90Ti_oavYl5mBQFx9a4o38aAvjN8P8HAQ

They showed the growth of their baby(before and after pic)and it was very smoooooooth.

Okay so we put the lid on the container she's in and cut out a screen for the lights. The humindy went up to 99! Is that too much?

Attachments

• IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
What are you using to measure the humidity? I think it'd be raining...lol watch temps carefully. Usually have to lower bulb wattage when you enclose it. You almost can't get too high humidity but you really need a good digital meter. Actually, two is better with remote probes. I attached a pic of what I use. The lid works well. Others here do that. Good thinking. Watch temps...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 16

JoeyA95

Oregon
I use a dual humidity/temp one that has like two wires that hang in the cage, I'm not sure if that's what you mean by probes. The humidity has been steady in the 80's all day now. I think it got so high last night because I had just misted a lot. Thank you!