Adopted a tortoise, is this a Russian tortoise? Please help

Dream Bird

Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
Hello everyone, new to the forum and this is a first time post. I just adopted a tortoise but I am not positive what kind she is and the person I received her from didn't know either. Is this a Russian tortoise? That's my best guess after reviewing photos online but I just want to make sure I'm right about the kind so I can better take care of her. Also is there any way to estimate her age at this point? Its really not necessary in anyway, more just curious. Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

Attachments

• 20240417_175543.jpg
    20240417_175543.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240417_175547.jpg
    20240417_175547.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240420_182658.jpg
    20240420_182658.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240420_182704.jpg
    20240420_182704.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
No, its a greek tortoise (or Hermans). There are different kinds, but I am not expert in them, that said, the care will be similar.

Start here (its a LOT to digest but good info) and then follow the link for temperate species specifically:

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Can you post photos of the entire enclosure? It looks like you might have a ramped water bowl which is a potential death trap for tortoises, they should not be used.

Also know that they need a LOT of space, like 4' x 8' ish, not a tank or 2 x 3 tortoise table

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Greek or Hermanns. I'm not good on IDing the Mediterranean species except the Russians.

Dream Bird

Rhode Island
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely start reading about the Greek / Herman's tortoise then. Here is a picture of the indoor enclosure I was given when I adopted her and that she's in at night or for part of the day when I'm not around. I've had her less than a week so the indoor enclosure will definitely be upgraded. I haven't been keeping any water bowl in the enclosure, only a food tray because I didn't want her making a mess or hurting herself in the water somehow. What is the recommendation for her getting water? So far I've only given her access to water when I'm present and watching her while she's in the large outdoor enclosure I have set up. Again, I really appreciate the help and advice!

Attachments

• 20240417_175605.jpg
    20240417_175605.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
can you also do photos of the tail and underside of backside? Will help people tell if you if a boy or girl.

For water you can just get a cheap terracotta saucer and sink it down into the substrate. She won't hurt herself with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, please upgrade the enclosure ASAP. That's barely big enough for a hatchling. S/he needs a minimum of a 4x8 and water needs to be available 24/7, so add a water dish ASAP.

Dream Bird

Rhode Island
Just added in the water dish using a terracotta saucer like you mentioned, I happened to have one already that hadn't been used as part of a pot. I was told she was a girl, that's why I keep saying she. But I definitely will take photos of her tail and the underside of the backside like requested and post them here once I do. She's sleeping right now, half buried in the chips and I didn't want to wake her.

Also I definitely will be upgrading her indoor enclosure as soon as I can. I've only had her for 4 days so far and adopting her wasn't a planned event at all! I've always loved tortoises and turtles and my friend knowing this, asked me if I would want to adopt one. From what my friend told me someone they knew had been trying to rehome this tortoise and hadn't found anyone yet to take her and their solution was going to releasing her into the wild. I knew this was an awful idea and would most likely be a death sentence so it was a no brainer for me to take her in. Thanks again for your help and information!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Just added in the water dish using a terracotta saucer like you mentioned, I happened to have one already that hadn't been used as part of a pot. I was told she was a girl, that's why I keep saying she. But I definitely will take photos of her tail and the underside of the backside like requested and post them here once I do. She's sleeping right now, half buried in the chips and I didn't want to wake her.

Also I definitely will be upgrading her indoor enclosure as soon as I can. I've only had her for 4 days so far and adopting her wasn't a planned event at all! I've always loved tortoises and turtles and my friend knowing this, asked me if I would want to adopt one. From what my friend told me someone they knew had been trying to rehome this tortoise and hadn't found anyone yet to take her and their solution was going to releasing her into the wild. I knew this was an awful idea and would most likely be a death sentence so it was a no brainer for me to take her in. Thanks again for your help and information!
No worries, i was in the same boat and mine was in a "double wide" (two 2 x 3 tortoise houses) for a few months. They can endure quite a lot, so long as you are going in the right direction.

Next you will want to focus in temperatures and diet. The links provided will give you good info, but know that lettuce is not really great. If you are going to use supermarket food start with escarole, endive, radicchio, cilantro, and dandelion greens as a good start. No veggies or fruit, no lettuce and be careful of other things that could be toxic. There are good lists on here you can refer to, also look at https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ as a pretty nice app to have on your phone

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No worries, i was in the same boat and mine was in a "double wide" (two 2 x 3 tortoise houses) for a few months. They can endure quite a lot, so long as you are going in the right direction.

Next you will want to focus in temperatures and diet. The links provided will give you good info, but know that lettuce is not really great. If you are going to use supermarket food start with escarole, endive, radicchio, cilantro, and dandelion greens as a good start. No veggies or fruit, no lettuce and be careful of other things that could be toxic. There are good lists on here you can refer to, also look at https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ as a pretty nice app to have on your phone
As far as I understand, it's quite Ok to give tortoises vegetables! And lettuce can be an occasional safe addition in the mix, but plants like opuntia cactus pads, dandelion, clover, pumpkin vine leaves and flowers, hibiscus and many more, are a better choice than the supermarket stuff. Fruit is not advised. When offering hard veggies like pumpkin or carrots, grater it or put large body-size pieces to prevent the tortoise from choking.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
As for diet with any temperate species I would strive for variety. Vegetables are okay in small amounts as a part of a varied diet. Lettuce can be offered as long as you make sure the diet overall has enough fiber. This can be done by adding soaked tortoise pellets like Mazuri with her usual food. Also, with a grocery store diet I would look into supplementing calcium, especially if she is a female, the correct calcium phosphorus ratio is important (at least 2:1).

Here are listed any harmful properties to avoid: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/harmful-properties/

Dream Bird

Rhode Island
Thank you all for the great info, advice and resources! I just checked out the links and they are going to be soo helpful! Also just went ahead and downloaded the Tortoise Table app which will be great for the easy access. Just a random question though, mere curiosity but clearly in the wild a tortoise wouldn't have access to looking up which food is safe to eat so do they kind of have some instinct of what's okay for them to eat or are there lots of unlucky tortoises that don't make it due to eating things they shouldn't?

Also I had forgotten to take photos today of her tail/underside of her backside while she was awake and of course she's sleeping again. I did notice that her shell in the very back almost wraps around under her and almost giving the appearance of her looking like she's wearing a diaper 😂 Not sure if that might be something you would be trying to see. I will still take the photos though once she's awake again. Thanks again for all the help.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you all for the great info, advice and resources! I just checked out the links and they are going to be soo helpful! Also just went ahead and downloaded the Tortoise Table app which will be great for the easy access. Just a random question though, mere curiosity but clearly in the wild a tortoise wouldn't have access to looking up which food is safe to eat so do they kind of have some instinct of what's okay for them to eat or are there lots of unlucky tortoises that don't make it due to eating things they shouldn't?

Also I had forgotten to take photos today of her tail/underside of her backside while she was awake and of course she's sleeping again. I did notice that her shell in the very back almost wraps around under her and almost giving the appearance of her looking like she's wearing a diaper 😂 Not sure if that might be something you would be trying to see. I will still take the photos though once she's awake again. Thanks again for all the help.
In the wild evolution filtered out those "unlucky tortoises". They are hard-wired to seek safer plants in their native habitat and have some counter-measures against plant toxins. Maybe some kind of social behaviour takes place too ("gaze following").

But I wouldn't rely on that - non-native plants easily confuse them (and grocery store foods are very different in content). And we can raise "picky eaters" who ignore healthy food (like dandelions and hibiscus, but goes mad over iceberg lettuce). So it's keeper's responsibility to provide them safe foods and safe plants in the enclosures.

And... "a tortoise in a diaper" is certainly something I would like to see :)

Reactions: Tom

Dream Bird

Rhode Island
Very interesting, I figured something of the sort must be the case but thanks for answering my question. Here are the photos requested of her tail / underside of the backside. What are peoples thoughts on its sex? I've been saying 'she' but again, I'm only going off of the little info I was given. As far as saying she looks like she's wearing a diaper I really was referring to how the end of her shell curls up underneath her from the back to front and also the tubby little legs sticking out from the shell with two large leg area holes that makes it look like a diaper is being worn.

Attachments

• 20240422_150600.jpg
    20240422_150600.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240422_150602.jpg
    20240422_150602.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 2

zovick

10 Year Member!
Very interesting, I figured something of the sort must be the case but thanks for answering my question. Here are the photos requested of her tail / underside of the backside. What are peoples thoughts on its sex? I've been saying 'she' but again, I'm only going off of the little info I was given. As far as saying she looks like she's wearing a diaper I really was referring to how the end of her shell curls up underneath her from the back to front and also the tubby little legs sticking out from the shell with two large leg area holes that makes it look like a diaper is being worn.
It's a boy! And from the other pix you posted, he looks dehydrated and his enclosure's substrate is too dry as well.

You should soak that guy daily for about 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water to help him stay hydrated. Make sure the water is only as deep as where the top and bottom shells meet. This is at about chin level when the head is retracted.

Good for you for saving him from a dreadful fate in the wild, too.

Reactions: Ink

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Sounded like a boy, but yes pics confirm in this case.