Russian tortoise

Woolfette

Location (City and/or State)
Emsworth
Hi, our Russian tortoise disappeared in our vegetable patch we thought we’d lost her but turns out she’s been buried in there deep for over a month. We were heartbroken thinking we lost her. But it’s totally secure so we couldn’t see how she could’ve got out but we just couldn’t find her however deep we dug. My worry now is she appeared today she just resurfaced. It’s really warm here at the moment. We gave her a bath and tried to feed her but she’s buried herself again this evening. I’m not sure to bring her in at night. Or just leave her as she is? She is 6 years old, thank you .. my first post so apologies if it’s long and rambling.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They do burrow / cave. They like the moist damp environment. I say it is normal and all ok. I used to have one that only top scute showed and sometime nothing showed. They can breath as they move head around to make an air pocket. Re bringing in is your decision if you have safe environment let it be,. but you do want to try and control where it burrows as Russians are escape artists and it could burrow down and out. Mine was out today and semi burrowed. I find it enchanting 😄

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could make one for her. Dig a cave/burrow in the ground and cover it with piece of wood sitting on cinder blocks leaving a over hang so the hole is covered from rain and sun. Then put her in it each night and hottest part of the day. Eventually if you did it to her liking, she will put herself in it.