Active some days and not active others

vanisle09

Hi everyone. I have a approximately 5-6 month old russian tortoise and some days he is all over his indoor enclosure eating and exploring and then for 3 or 4 days he won't eat much and sleep most of the day away.
Is this normal for my RT to be active sometimes and other days not??

Thanks

yillt

Yes. That is what Billy does. Tortoises do get tired so it may be that or he might just be basking. Basking always makes them lazy. ;) About the eating tortoises don't need food every day so maybe he is just not hungry but wait until an expert comes along.WELCOME TO TFO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Babies do sleep a lot. They don't need to eat every day, correct, but they should be offered food every day. Just be sure his temps and humidity is right on. Sometime that will keep,them from being too active too, if they aren't correct.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
This is PERFECTLY normal for a tortoise. He is just a baby, and he is probably exploring brumation. Brumation is when reptiles slow their systems down a bit and rest. It is a lot like hibernation, but they are still active and still eat and drink. Brumation can last weeks when he gets older, so hes okay now.
Wild tortoise brumate because of dry weather or lack of food.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Are you talking about me?? I'm the exactly the same way...Hahahaha.

All torts are like that. Even full grow. I have to commending you been watching over your torts very closely. You are doing good.