Athenameikle

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford
Hello, I am hoping for some help with what could be causing my Russian tortoise (Sheldon) to act this way and how best I can help him. I have booked a vets appointment but it’s 5 days away and I’m worried he will be suffering.

Bit of background - I got Sheldon from a pet shop locally, I wasn’t as aware of the dangers of doing so until after I’d got him. They couldn’t tell us how old he was only that he was born in 2020, we got him the begging of February 2021. He only weighed 25g when we got him and now weights 27g, we took him to a reptile vet in late March who checked him over and confirmed he seemed healthy enough and just advised more calcium. Since then he has it 5 times a week over food.
He is usually very active and although has days where he isn’t as active now and then he still always eats and wanders round.
I had to move his enclosure for 1 night last week (it’s been back in normal place now for 4 days) since we moved it he has been alot less active hardly coming out of his house atall in the day, I have kept bathing him every day but he isn’t anywhere near as active as usual.
2 days ago he kept opening and closing his mouth continually which I’ve never seen him do before in this way he’s since stopped and now it is appearing his eyes are slightly swollen and he’s mainly keeping them shut, I know he can still see as he’s managing to move around and flinched when food was put close to him. Tonight I bathed him and he seemed slightly more active however still extremely worried.
Does anyone know anything that could help him?

Athenameikle

Oxford
They might not be swollen it’s hard to tell, however he’s not opening them like normal.

Tortuug

El Cajon
I'm not an expert and a fairly new tortoise keeper but it sounds like it could be either a respiratory infection or hatchling failure syndrome. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes across this thread.

Does the tortoise have any discharge coming from the eyes or nose?

What kind of enclosure do you have the tortoise in and what are the ambient temperatures?

Also, if you can remember, was there a water bowl in the enclosure at the pet store where you bought the tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am hoping for some help with what could be causing my Russian tortoise (Sheldon) to act this way and how best I can help him. I have booked a vets appointment but it’s 5 days away and I’m worried he will be suffering.

Bit of background - I got Sheldon from a pet shop locally, I wasn’t as aware of the dangers of doing so until after I’d got him. They couldn’t tell us how old he was only that he was born in 2020, we got him the begging of February 2021. He only weighed 25g when we got him and now weights 27g, we took him to a reptile vet in late March who checked him over and confirmed he seemed healthy enough and just advised more calcium. Since then he has it 5 times a week over food.
He is usually very active and although has days where he isn’t as active now and then he still always eats and wanders round.
I had to move his enclosure for 1 night last week (it’s been back in normal place now for 4 days) since we moved it he has been alot less active hardly coming out of his house atall in the day, I have kept bathing him every day but he isn’t anywhere near as active as usual.
2 days ago he kept opening and closing his mouth continually which I’ve never seen him do before in this way he’s since stopped and now it is appearing his eyes are slightly swollen and he’s mainly keeping them shut, I know he can still see as he’s managing to move around and flinched when food was put close to him. Tonight I bathed him and he seemed slightly more active however still extremely worried.
Does anyone know anything that could help him?
Pet stores typically tell you the wrong stuff and sell you the wrong stuff.

What are you using for heating and lighting? What type of UV bulb?

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What substrate is he on?

Calcium should primarily come from the right foods. 5 days a week is too much. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements.

Here is the correct care info:

We will help you get him back on track.

Athenameikle

Oxford
I'm not an expert and a fairly new tortoise keeper but it sounds like it could be either a respiratory infection or hatchling failure syndrome. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes across this thread.

Does the tortoise have any discharge coming from the eyes or nose?

What kind of enclosure do you have the tortoise in and what are the ambient temperatures?

Also, if you can remember, was there a water bowl in the enclosure at the pet store where you bought the tortoise?
No no discharge of any kind, he is in a tortoise box table. I am pretty sure there was water at the pet store but he was only there for 1 morning before we took him.

Athenameikle

Oxford
Pet stores typically tell you the wrong stuff and sell you the wrong stuff.

What are you using for heating and lighting? What type of UV bulb?

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What substrate is he on?

Calcium should primarily come from the right foods. 5 days a week is too much. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements.

Here is the correct care info:

We will help you get him back on track.
He has a Arcadia 2nd Generation UV Basking Lamp, 100 Watts. My partner tracks his temperatures i will find out what they are. I have attached a picture of a similar looking substrate to what he has.
oh ok the vet advised us to give him the power 5 times a week to ensure his bones grew properly as said we was squishier than he should be - thank you for making me aware.

Thank you for all your advice! Much appreciated!

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
TortoiseSupply.com