Acres of land!!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You might consider associating with a researcher at a local university that works with your native tortoise. Create some sort of center based on them. You'd need some "official" affiliation, but that is often not so complex.

If on the other hand you have wild eye ideas about big $$ breeding endangered species, there are a few that would be a good choice for one reason or another.

If you intend to work with genuinely endangered species and not nessassarily make big $$, then you might consider associating with one of the institutions already doing such, like the Behler Center, The North Texas Tortoise Sanctuary, TSA, or a local-ish zoo.

Russ Gurley co-authored a book about Bert Langerwerf, that could be a good way to meld these ideas together into one place.

Killerrookie

You might consider associating with a researcher at a local university that works with your native tortoise. Create some sort of center based on them. You'd need some "official" affiliation, but that is often not so complex.

If on the other hand you have wild eye ideas about big $$ breeding endangered species, there are a few that would be a good choice for one reason or another.

If you intend to work with genuinely endangered species and not nessassarily make big $$, then you might consider associating with one of the institutions already doing such, like the Behler Center, The North Texas Tortoise Sanctuary, TSA, or a local-ish zoo.

Russ Gurley co-authored a book about Bert Langerwerf, that could be a good way to meld these ideas together into one place.
Thank you will and I'll make sure to get in contact with TSA and the others!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Nice land. The idea should be utilized like Will said into which species your wanting to help. Center ville unfortunately isn't in the range of the Texas tortoise so native would be difficult. Working with endangered species can get quite extensive. Especially depending on what you want to do. I'd suggest working on a US based level and build large pens and housing for unwanted animals. We get over 60 tortoises a year relinquished to us. Most being sulcatas. Where only on 3 acres so run out of room quite quick. Large pastures work great for sulcatas and are quite easy to set up. When you get into a multitude of different species the housing required can get very detailed. We're working with two international partners of reintroduction for endangered species of tortoises and it's quite detailed. Very doable but takes a lot of work to achieve.

Killerrookie

Nice land. The idea should be utilized like Will said into which species your wanting to help. Center ville unfortunately isn't in the range of the Texas tortoise so native would be difficult. Working with endangered species can get quite extensive. Especially depending on what you want to do. I'd suggest working on a US based level and build large pens and housing for unwanted animals. We get over 60 tortoises a year relinquished to us. Most being sulcatas. Where only on 3 acres so run out of room quite quick. Large pastures work great for sulcatas and are quite easy to set up. When you get into a multitude of different species the housing required can get very detailed. We're working with two international partners of reintroduction for endangered species of tortoises and it's quite detailed. Very doable but takes a lot of work to achieve.
Thank you!!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Kelly, Centerville is in the 'historic range' of G.b. meaning that sub fossil remains have been found that far north. So, the question is where those remains from translocated individuals or remnants of marginally viable populations. Bolson's historic range also seems to have been quite far north as well. Either would be a good candidate. Maybe the folks at Turner's Grey Ranch would welcome a satellite population, maybe not. Seems to me it's worth a few years dedicated interest and perseverance. Either interest will no doubt be met with a "No" 'cuase that's the easy answer, but I feel confident I could wrangle it if it were up to me.

Killerrookie

In Centerville, TX I also have 6 horse idk what I'm gonna do with them.... I'll probably sell them or give them away.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The land will be the cheapest part of this entire deal and you have that covered by it being a gift. How do you intend to pay for the buildings and enclosures, before we even start talking tortoises, food, and their electrical needs? How much experience do you have with tortoises? I suggest you dream big, but work very small scale and see how it goes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you would do well to read Tortadise's greenhouse threads. He shows the different tortoise buildings he's put up for this tortoises. It would give you an idea of what you need to be thinking about.

Killerrookie

The land will be the cheapest part of this entire deal and you have that covered by it being a gift. How do you intend to pay for the buildings and enclosures, before we even start talking tortoises, food, and their electrical needs? How much experience do you have with tortoises? I suggest you dream big, but work very small scale and see how it goes.
Money isn't a problem at all and I been working with box turtles and some turtles all my life but I just started 3 years ago with tortoises and I'm still learning more and more about them

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I wish I could say money is no object. lol I know Kelly spent over $1,000 on electricity alone last month. Just something to think about.

Killerrookie

I wish I could say money is no object. lol I know Kelly spent over $1,000 on electricity alone last month. Just something to think about.
We pay that much for food haha and I eat most of it!!!