A playpen for my RT need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtmomma

5 Year Member
I I'm traveling out of town for a 4 day weekend this weekend with 4 kids and 2 dogs and it will be our RT Toetoes first trip .... I was planning to put her in a tote in the way back of the van but don't want the dogs to decide to jump back there when I'm driving on the freeway so I found a good deal on the zoomed playpen and it's coming tomorrow and I think it will be good for travel.... My issue is withe the open bottom playpen area... We will have to have a bottom on it preferably removable do she can be put in grass outside while we are traveling but what should we make the bottom from? And would it be ok to just have substrate in the hide part for the long weekend?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should try to use the same things as you have in his home enclosure. Will make him more comfortable. Also, be very careful putting him on grass that you have no idea what they may have treated it with. A piece of wood would do fine on the bottom.

rtmomma

5 Year Member
Thanks! The grass will be at my parents and they don't even fertilize but I'll remember that at rest stops!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Don't forget that RTs are escape artists. Take your eyes off them for one second and they've climbed out or dug in!

rtmomma

5 Year Member
Yeah that's a concern for me! I'm wondering if I make the bottom of the own part Velcro on if it will be strong enough... Or should I just nail it on and only have her in the grass outside of the pen.

Darn autocorrect I meant the bottom of the pen part Velcro on lol

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
How about drilling 4-6 holes in the wood base and using a small bungee cord to attach the base to the zoomed enclosure wire when a base is needed?

At your parents, you could put the zoomed enclosure in a flower bed or dirt. Just make sure she doesn't dig out! (stay close).

Status
Not open for further replies.