A new Box Turtle owner. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamiKayla

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Niceville, Florida
Hello! I'm new to this site and I have recently acquired a Gulf Coast Box Turtle! I'm really excited about it!
I've been reading up about them online on what they eat, what sorta habitat they need and etc, and I think I'm getting it down pretty good.
My lil box turtle is just a baby, about 3 inches or so.

Is there anything special I should feed him?
I've been feeding him mostly worms (He likes them!), shredded carrots, and broccoli. I bought some turtle food, but he doesn't really seem interested in it too much, so I don't think he's been eating it. I also have a cuttlebone in his habitat since someone recommended it.

Any certain items I need in my habitat?
I have an indoor enclosure (21inx17in, and I know I'll need a bigger one when he gets older) for him since I was reading about how fire ants can kill baby turtles, and my yard if full of fire ants.
I have a little half-hollowed log that he can hide in, plants, a water dish, a rock, mulch for the flooring, and a heat lamp. Though I take him out side everyday for the good ol' sunshine, and just sit down next to him to make sure nothing bothers him.

And just overall information on turtles would be really nice... I'm still learning about them after all. Also, I live in Florida if that helps with anything.
Thank you! :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Young box turtles live live food, and they also seem to like mazuri. You can offer various fruits and vegetables, but don't get disappointed if they don't eat them often.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You can try mealworms, superworms, pill bugs,soaked reptomin, turtle brittle, canned cat or dog food, raspberries in addition to what you are feeding.

KamiKayla

5 Year Member
Niceville, Florida
Thank you all for the replies. The suggestions are always nice to read! I'll see if I can pick up some of those items this week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.