new box turtle what to do?

mark davis

Hello all - just joined this forum. Tons of info!

I have had a box turtle for 8-9 years who is doing fine, he even successfully completed a 12 step program and is a recovered nightcrawler junkie. I just introduced a new box turtle (mature, 5/12"shell) who was coming in and out of my yard. I put him in the terrarium with the other turtle about two weeks ago.

Its a 50 gal with reptile substrate, UV and incandescent light, temp areas are 79-80 warm and 72-74 cool with good size water bowl, rocks, and some wood branches. Light is for 12-13 hours a day right now. i mist regularly. The new turtle is a male (they both are) and by all i can tell, in excellent health. He is cruising the enclosure without climbing the walls to get out, using the hide box along with the original turtle, sun posing, and, occasionally burrowing, and, been in and out of the water. THE PROBLEM: The new guy hasn't eaten anything in the two weeks i've had him. I've tried a variety of foods (berries, red lettuce, pieces of chicken, mushrooms, cantaloupe., etc.). He even ignored a couple of nightcrawlers!

The last few days i've started 15 min tepid soaks and even removed the other turtle for a few hours to see if the new one will eat. Nada. Meanwhile the original turtle is pigging out on all that untouched food.

So, I have two questions: (1) how long can the new turtle go without eating before i'll need to let him go?
(2) Any other ideas about how to "make" him eat, like hand feeding or some other method to start him up?

Thanks in advance!
Mark Davis

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum!

Are box turtles native to your area? So this is a wild box turtle and not someone's escaped pet?

I think you've made a very big mistake taking in the turtle. Many wild box turtles don't tame down, and he may eventually wither and starve to death. It would be a very good thing if you were to put him back where you found him.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Well the PROBLEM is that you took a wild turtle out of his habitat and have placed him inside. You also risked your pet turtle to any illness that the wild turtle may have. You cant force a turtle to eat. You should take him back where you got him from! If he was coming into your yard you could have enjoyed him from there....still can.

CapturedSerpant

5 Year Member
I would put the poor guy back. Plus a 50 gallon tank isn't big enough for two boxies andddd both male. You need like a 1male to 3female ratio.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I would put the poor guy back. Plus a 50 gallon tank isn't big enough for two boxies andddd both male. You need like a 1male to 3female ratio.
It isn't big enough for one adult box turtle. If you really feel you need to keep the newly caught turtle he needs a much bigger, outdoor area. As said before though, you should let him go. If he comes to your yard he is finding something he likes there so he should stick around.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You knew when you asked that you'd have to let him go. It's time. Don't stress him any more. Put him back into the breeding population.

Turtles return to the same places year after year. Maybe you'll be seeing him again.

Too many wild caught turtles do not adapt to captivity and die the first year. Others take years to adapt & are utterly miserable in the process.

Can't you make an outdoor summer habitat for your pet turtle? Being outdoors does wonders for their health and well being. They even love the rain.

But don't try to keep the traveler in your yard. He needs to stay on his circuit to get the goodies that are in season & return to his hibernation spot.