A Month With Emrys (Pic and Text Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Hello all!

Well, Emrys will have been in my life a month tomorrow, and using everything I've learned about him (and about myself) in the past month, I've made a few changes to his enclosure today.

Emrys' original set up was one that I saw as being fairly practical. I'd done a lot of research before I bought him, and the result of that research was that I bought a large built-for-purpose tortoise table, bought my own clamp lamp and attached it, used a soil and aspen substrate with additional sphagnum moss, and set the enclosure up as follows (the hide is to the left, and extends across quite a way):

Table4.jpg

Over the past month, I've changed my opinions about his enclosure a little. Firstly, I've learned that aspen and sphagnum moss just don't work for either of us. Mostly me, though - I don't like the way it looks, and the moss gets absolutely everywhere. I've tested to ensure I can keep humidity without it, so that's now gone - his enclosure is purely soil.

Emrys also wasn't using the built-in hide. He wasn't keen on it and preferred to sleep out in the open. I paid a lot for his table, because I wanted one with the hide built in, but it just wasn't working for him. He wasn't even walking in there, removing a lot of usable space. So, I decided the best thing to do would be to remove the hide completely and make his table seem much bigger. I've been experimenting with various hide options this past week, but the only solution he's liked has been a half plant pot, used as a bunker. I've been monitoring temperatures in, around and on it to ensure that it's safe, and I've been watching Emrys climbing on it to make sure he's stable. It's now included in the new enclosure.

Pictures are below. I'm incredibly happy with it. I'm no good at craft, and I'm not creative in the slightest, but Emmy's a little inspiration and he's led me to give it everything I've got:

Enc1.jpg

Enc11.jpg

Enc3.jpg

Enc2.jpg

Enc7.jpg

Enc9.jpg

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
WOW. Very cool transition! I like it a lot. Emrys is so darn cute :D Nice job!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I thought the first one was nice, but it looks much better.
He clearly approves, good thing we humans are trainable! :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
lynnedit said:
I thought the first one was nice, but it looks much better.
He clearly approves, good thing we humans are trainable! :D

I know. :)

Over a decade of school and I couldn't even manage basic craft and design. Now, in a month, Emrys has turned me into this!

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice job. It looks great.

You'd get more heat and UV without the metal basket on the bottom of your light fixture.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Tom said:
Nice job. It looks great.

You'd get more heat and UV without the metal basket on the bottom of your light fixture.

Excellent, thanks. I'll remove that if it's not needed. I always thought it was necessary, for some reason! :p

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
WTG Emrys. Doing a very good job getting your people trained. Keep up the good work. (BTW, I removed my RT's hides. They never used them.)

Missniecie

5 Year Member
I wish I had taken before and after pictures of the modifications I have made for Eloise's home :) She loves to sleep out in the open as well, but I too have used the planting pot to create a semi open space to sleep in....she prefers it over a totally closed in box. I recently made very low narrow planters and am growing clover in her enclosure in them so she has a fresh snack whenever she wants it....very easy....just used the plastic containers that strawberries come in and cut them down and taped two sides together so it doesnt take up too much of her space...

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Thanks again, all! Emrys definitely seems keen on his new hide, he's been using it for the past two nights, and I've added a few new rocks to explore after my fiance dug up the garden a bit this weekend.

As much as I love this enclosure, though, I'm already missing our days in the sun. We're expecting incredibly cold weather in the coming weeks, and there are gale-force winds and rain tonight. Those 90.3F temperatures of just two weeks ago feel like a lifetime away.

Status
Not open for further replies.