Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
So crush went to have his nails clipped today,
Vet said he was ok blah blah blah, but one nail needed cutting,
as the vet was cutting crush moved and now the vet cut down too far.
It is bleeding but not pooring its really not that bad, but what happens now? Do i just make sure it doesnt get infected? thats what vet said!

Wat do I do?

I know im making a big deal out of nothing becase there is hardly any bllod at all, but we all exadurate XD

xx

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Did the vet stop the bleeding while still there with a styptic pencil or powder or did he send you home with it still bleeding? Depending upon how short the nail was cut bleeding can be difficult to stop but in most cases it will coagulate and stop in a few minutes. It shouldn't be anything to concerned about but it is a good idea to cover it the end where it is cut to prevent bacteria from getting in. I've heard of people using everything from antibiotice oitment (good idea), vaseline, to "New Skin" to a dab of wax to cover an open nail. The basic idea is the same, cover the exposed area to keep dirt and bacteria out.
I've always used antibiotic ointment for minor exposures.
It's nothing to serious to be concerned with, as long as you keep it clean until it heals over.

Now the next thing to do is to learn how to trim them yourself so that you don't have to pay a vet ridiculous money to do something that simple! You really shouldn't have to clip their nails very often, if at all, as long as they have some coarse stone to walk on in order to keep the nails worn down. I have for years clipped our dogs, birds and tortoises when they needed it. It's very easy.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Yes.. he sent us home... Its me over exadurating, its stopped now! He only just like caught the end of where you shouldnt cut.. ill put him some cream on it then... hopefully it wont get infected. thanks x

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I doubt it will get infected. Before you start clipping nails on your own, be sure to have some stypitic powder readily available in case you get some bleeding.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sorry that poor Crush got nipped with the nail clippers! :(

Give it a kiss and it will be all better. ;)

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
He will hopefully be ok, I fed him things he shouldnt have, to take his mind off things;
By that I mean treats and stuff..lots of em... not poisen lol
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.