A little bit of advice please ? (Which species? Which enclosure?)

LadyBossLisa

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi everyone ??

I’m new here and would just like a bit of advice. I’ve wanted a tortoise for a every long time but never actually got one. I’ve heard the name Horsfield’s and Herman’s quite a lot so been researching them but can’t tell the difference. I would prefer one that’s quite small only due to the housing situation. I’ve seen some very small enclosures and i don’t think it’s very fair to keep them in something small. I’ve also seen some fantastic enclosures which look quite big and are 2 tier which is what i would like to go for. I’ve been told to have one of those i would have to have it custom made. So my questions are…

Which ? should i go for? Horsfield or Herman? Or are there any other small tortoise you can recommend? Someone i spoke to did mention a few but the only one i can remember is a red-footed tortoise but i think they said they get bigger than the Horsfield and Hermann.

People who own large enclosures? Where do you actually keep them? I do have a lot of space but still wonder as some people only have a limited amount of space so where do you keep your tortoise? and as i live in the UK the weather is very unpredictable even in the summer months, so they have to be kept inside.
Do they always need a special UVB lamp?

What size enclosure is the best? I’ve seen most are around 3ft but i would have thought that would be too small.

How long does it take for them to grow to their full size?

I’ve seen some custom made enclosures online which are quite cute. I think the normal tortoise tables look a bit boring lol

4504A136-5EBE-4EE1-9376-378CCAF39308.jpeg591D3C79-6417-49AD-A756-BFF2D1112ED5.jpegAEF45517-5779-4BB6-8D05-9D8C0BFF4C91.jpeg1C964933-2A22-4696-BA8A-4A998C34FE15.jpeg

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
I forgot to ask about hibernation. Do they always hibernate? I’ve heard people say they’ve put their tortoise in a fridge which sounds scary to me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Horsefields (Russians), Hermanns and Greeks seem to be the most common species available in the UK. I think Greeks are the largest of the bunch. They and others are classed as Mediterranean/Temperate species.
There are other speices available like RF, Leopards and even sulcata available but they have different care needs and can be big to huge in size!!!
This is the caresheet you need to read to see what is involved in the care of either Russians or Hermanns etc that will help you decide

If you want to look at other species you will find caresheets in the Species specific section but our climate does complicate things for the African or S American torts.

Babies are fine in a large viv or closed chamber to start off but as they grow they will need more space; the minimum recommended enclosure size for juveniles/adults of the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet - but the bigger the better. Some people get around space issues with double decker or 'L' shaped corner units etc.

Most species hibernate - but not all.
Russians and Hermanns do, but I think it's advised not to the first year, to make sure they are healthy. None of them have to hibernate if you keep their temps up. Many people use fridges for hibernation now because our winter temps fluctuate so much so fridges keep the temps even. There are many threads about how to do it safely which you can read later.

If our summers are warm and dry enough torts can get uvb from the sun while in the garden, but they will need a uvb source overwinter. Many of use T5 HO uvb tube kits. They also need a flood basking bulb , and for night heat a CHE run through a thermostat for night and extra heat.

Read the caresheet and see if any of those species will suit your space and circumstances, but ask as many questions as you like, and check any equipment you are thinking of buying here as well, some pet shops know little about tort care and will often sell unsafe and unsuitable equipment for profit, so we could save you some money!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have a garden?
You may find this helpful

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
Thank you so much for welcoming me and for taking time to respond to my long post.

I actually used to want a Sulcata, i’ve heard they’re great but also a nightmare to own as they destroy the place ? Being so large they would need a larger enclosed outdoors and someone told me they destroyed the whole garden/fences.

I would like to buy a large enclosure to begin with rather than change later as it’s quite expensive and i’d be stuck with the smaller one.

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
Do you have a garden?
You may find this helpful
Yes i live in the countryside and have quite a lot of space. It’s worrying as well with other animals around. Would have to make sure nothing can get to the tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes i live in the countryside and have quite a lot of space. It’s worrying as well with other animals around. Would have to make sure nothing can get to the tortoise.
Definitely - the tort would need a secure outdoor enclosure safe from predators with a heated night box he could be locked away in. Even rats can seriously harm torts.
JoesMum's garden is secure and I don't think Joe was left out at night, but it's all in her thread.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Either Hermanns or russian would be fine. Care is about the same. As adults they need a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. As a hatchling they need a closed chamber.
Never put two together like in your first pic. There is a reason one is bigger then the other and it's not a good reason.
Always nice to have an outdoor area for those warm days.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you so much for welcoming me and for taking time to respond to my long post.

I actually used to want a Sulcata, i’ve heard they’re great but also a nightmare to own as they destroy the place ? Being so large they would need a larger enclosed outdoors and someone told me they destroyed the whole garden/fences.

I would like to buy a large enclosure to begin with rather than change later as it’s quite expensive and i’d be stuck with the smaller one.
Sullies are known to be bulldozers and need a huge space! Plus in the UK they need to be indoors over winter and would need a very large room. I have a leopard abut 14 inches long now and he has always had his own adapted room because he was too big for a viv or table.
It's easier to control heat and humidity for babies and hatchlings in a closed chamber/viv but there are was of covering open tables with mini greenhouses etc or even perspsex - but lamps need to be inside.

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
Space isn’t a problem to be honest. I’m just concerned that they’re quite difficult to look after, reading a lot about caring for them. Getting the temperature right etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Space isn’t a problem to be honest. I’m just concerned that they’re quite difficult to look after, reading a lot about caring for them. Getting the temperature right etc.
Leopard/sully care is very similar, not the easiest of species to keep in the UK climate. Mine was found in a field and unclaimed; a vet told me many African and tropical species are dumped when people realise the cost of their care and input needed.:(

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
Either Hermanns or russian would be fine. Care is about the same. As adults they need a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. As a hatchling they need a closed chamber.
Never put two together like in your first pic. There is a reason one is bigger then the other and it's not a good reason.
Always nice to have an outdoor area for those warm days.
I only plan on getting one. I’ve read it’s not a good idea having two. Before i started doing a little research i thought it would be cute having two together. Didn’t realise they’re loners lol

I don’t mean to be rude about people but not everyone has a lot of space so where do they put an enclosure that size? Or do people that own tortoise have a lot of space.

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
Leopard/sully care is very similar, not the easiest of species to keep in the UK climate. Mine was found in a field and unclaimed; a vet told me many African and tropical species are dumped when people realise the cost of their care and input needed.:(
That’s terrible ? I saw someone post on Facebook they found a tortoise outside their house, something ripped it’s head off. At first thought it could be hibernating but it was definitely dead. How can people be so cruel and dump living things because they no longer want to care for them, makes me so angry. I’m sure there would be someone who would adopt them. No need to just throw him out like they’re rubbish!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I only plan on getting one. I’ve read it’s not a good idea having two. Before i started doing a little research i thought it would be cute having two together. Didn’t realise they’re loners lol

I don’t mean to be rude about people but not everyone has a lot of space so where do they put an enclosure that size? Or do people that own tortoise have a lot of space.
Some try to use a extra room in the house for a sully. ?????
Screenshot_20210901-171346_Samsung Internet.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I live in Devon, and have a Hermann's tortoise, who is now 21 years old - he weighs about I kilo, and is unlikely to grow much larger, I think. He is wonderful !! We have never hibernated him, but he has been well and happy always.
I personally would recommend Hermann's, rather than Russian tortoises, as Russians are notorious for their escaping ability, and therefore likely to be more of a worry. But, of course, they are all different in personality.
Best wishes from Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I live in Devon, and have a Hermann's tortoise, who is now 21 years old - he weighs about I kilo, and is unlikely to grow much larger, I think. He is wonderful !! We have never hibernated him, but he has been well and happy always.
I personally would recommend Hermann's, rather than Russian tortoises, as Russians are notorious for their escaping ability, and therefore likely to be more of a worry. But, of course, they are all different in personality.
Best wishes from Angie
Sorry to confuse you, but Russian is another name for Horsefield - also, I should have said that Zola has a fair-sized conservatory, which is double-glazed and heated - where he is based all year round.
Angie

LadyBossLisa

United Kingdom
Sorry to confuse you, but Russian is another name for Horsefield - also, I should have said that Zola has a fair-sized conservatory, which is double-glazed and heated - where he is based all year round.
Angie
Hi Angie,

Yes i always called them Russian until a shop kept calling them horsfields. I’d never heard of it before and felt an idiot when they explained it was the correct name ??

I’ve just googled photos, is the only difference lookswise that the shell is darker on a Hermann tortoise? Like a Greek ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here is our Zola now, with a small picture of him aged 2 on left, and one of him aged 3 on the right. As you see, the pattern changes as they get older.
View attachment 340190

Russians have a pattern of larger dark areas
Angie
That is a great pic, but according to your post Zola is getting smaller not bigger. ?