My 3 month old horsefield is lonely

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
I just got a horsefield tortoise we don’t know the exact age but it’s quite small so 3-5months. We have noticed it just seems lonely and almost like it’s missing it’s brothers and sisters from when we brought it (it lived with about 5 others before we got it. If it would make the tortoise happier we would happily get another horsefield! I’ve seen on the forum about how not to put older tortoises together but these horsefields would be below 5 months. They are exactly the same for dietary and heat needs so I thought it would be perfect. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. Also would anyone be able to tell me the gender of my horsefield it’s still only young and not fully developed but I’ve seen that some of you know!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It isnt lonely, it doesnt need or want a companion. Adding a second tortoise is one of the most detrimental things you can do to both torts health and wellbeing. This is one of the most common scenarios we see here on this forum. Torts are solitary animals, from the time they hatch from the egg they are on their own, other tortoises are just competition for scarce resources.

Here are a couple examples from the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got a horsefield tortoise we don’t know the exact age but it’s quite small so 3-5months. We have noticed it just seems lonely and almost like it’s missing it’s brothers and sisters from when we brought it (it lived with about 5 others before we got it. If it would make the tortoise happier we would happily get another horsefield! I’ve seen on the forum about how not to put older tortoises together but these horsefields would be below 5 months. They are exactly the same for dietary and heat needs so I thought it would be perfect. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. Also would anyone be able to tell me the gender of my horsefield it’s still only young and not fully developed but I’ve seen that some of you know!
Your tortoise is too young to sex, and they should NEVER be kept in pairs. They don't want or need competition. They don't get lonely. Other tortoises are not seen as friends or companions. They are seen as intruders or marauders. Don't do that to your baby.

What you are seeing is a tortoise that is unfamiliar territory and it is still making sure things are safe. Its expecting a predator or a territorial rival to show up, and its also still getting the lay of the land. They take a couple of weeks at least to settle in and realize they are safe and become comfortable in their new territory.

Give this a read for the current and correct care info: