A jungle for a desert tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

timsteele

5 Year Member
It's been too cold here in Northern California for exploring in the yard for variety of food stuff, so I thought I'd bring some in to him. I realize that Russian tortoises live in the desert. But I thought I'd give mine a bit of a jungle to explore and nibble on. He'll destroy all those plants pretty soon and he'll have his desert back.

Ultimately, my goal is to provide a healthy and stimulating place for him to live. That's why I'm posting this - just in case anyone has suggestions or concerns about what I'm doing. I'm open minded about feedback.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 80

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What kind of plants do you have there?

timsteele

5 Year Member
I checked the various lists that are available for plants that are edible by tortoises. So, they include succulents, prayer plant, and begonias. He ate some of that succulent (sometimes known as elephant plant I believe) a few months ago and loved it. He hasn't nibbled any of these yet that I've noticed - but I'm sure he will.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
I could be wrong but I don't think the begonia in the corner is good for tortoises to eat. Don't know about the Prayer Plant either with the striped leaves. The variegated plant is a succulent so may be fine. Check edible foods at www.thetortoisetable.org ( i hope that's the correct address! if not it's close)

Valerie

www.cactusinspain.com

Yep, I wuz wrong----duh! Fibrous rooted begonias are deemed safe,like the one in your pic: it's the tuberous begonias that are supposedly not good food.

Status
Not open for further replies.