A friend for a college student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnomecatcher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hi all, I'm a biochemistry major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in CA. I'm an aquarist, but fish aren't all that...interactive. I really want a dog, but I'm afraid between research and school, I can't afford the time. Cats are a no-go, my roommate is allergic.

I've been thinking about a small pet for a while, and while I was watching Elementary, Sherlock acquired a tortoise during his adventures. BINGO, that's what I need. A tortoise. I've had reptiles before, shouldn't be too hard. On the plus side, tortoises are vegetarian, like me. :)

So right now I'm plotting out my enclosure, and I've already found a local tortoise rescue guy. Yippee.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

abclements

5 Year Member
Thats exactly why i got my tort! I really wanted a dog (still do lol) but i figured a tort would be way less time consuming than a dog... That and I only want a bigish dog which doesn't work in an apartment setting... but you will spend the better part of the first couple months making everything perfect for your tort, after you get everything perfect, then its just cruise control from there. Feeding and changing water daily. Enough rambling, what im trying to say is, a tort is a greatcollege pet if you have the money! :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This sounds like great idea. It's super therapeutic, would be a good break-from-studying, and they're fun! Keep us updated.

You said you've owned reptiles before, what kind?

Gnomecatcher

5 Year Member
San Luis Obispo, CA
Thanks everyone! I'm interested in getting a Russian tortoise, though the rescue guy says he has leopards and elongated torts available as well. Is keeping a Russian indoors doable? About what size do they need an outdoor pen?

abclements: Same deal here, I'm not much of a little dog person. Too needy, too yappy. My family has an American Staffy, and we used to have a Lab, and both were as quiet as deer. Our Am Staff might come live with me when I get off to grad school.

Blake: I've had lizards and snakes. My corn snake was the best girl in the whole world, but she's now living with an Air Force guy and his buddies.

Another question: I don't know if I should house the tort upstairs, where it's warmer, or downstairs. I'm not sure how cool downstairs is, but I can keep an unheated aquarium at about 63 F. The upstairs unheated aquarium is about 75F. Obviously it will get much warmer in the summer.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
outside is best... but a Russian is hardy and can do ok inside,, but you will have to provide a lot of stuff and space.. and NO DOGS in the same area with him... regardless of how nice your dog is..

bmt123

5 Year Member
I defiantly wouldn't go with a leopard if you have to house it inside. Another option might be a box turtle they stay relatively small and I have seen some that thrive in indoor setup. The only problem with them is that they do need some meat in there diet.

MasCaraLVB

5 Year Member
Owatonna, MN
bmt123 said:
Another option might be a box turtle they stay relatively small and I have seen some that thrive in indoor setup. The only problem with them is that they do need some meat in there diet.

I had a 3 toed eastern box turtle for 16 years and he was very easy to care for. I stopped trying to feed him meat (mealworms, worms, even turkey lunchmeat among other things) after not long because he wasn't interested in any of it. He ate mainly lettuce greens, blueberries (his favorite), other fruits, and supplimented with commercial turtle food pellets.

Not sure now common or easy it is to find box turtles anymore but I do recommend one for easy first timers.

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Russians do great indoors and will enjoy outdoor afternoons in the summer. They stay small males about 6" females slightly larger" I recomend a tortoise table verses a aquarium as the humidity can get quite high in an aquarium. Also a heat lamp or ceramic heat emitter will give your tort a warm area to go if your room is to cold. Also great choice torts make great pets and live a long time if you take proper care of them.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Hey, welcome!! If you ever take a trip up to NorCal, you should go to the east bay Vivarium in Berkeley! It is so great and the people there are so kind and helpful... They helped me pick out my tort, daisy and they have the largest selection of reptiles on the west coast and maybe even the US!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Based on what I've read so far, I really recommend you read the thread under my name. It was written by Tom, and if you are planning on getting a dog later on, then this thread is a must read!.

Status
Not open for further replies.