Hello from Houston, Texas!

Dorothy L

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas, United States of America
Hi, my name is Dorothy, I'm from Houston, Texas. I really want a Russian Tortoise, and am probably going to buy my own from this site. I'm still a student, but I have plenty of time to care for it. I'm rather introverted, and allergic to most pets, so tortoises are a good choice for me. I've done plenty of research, but I think I'd like some real-life experience, so if anyone on here could give me some advice I would really appreciate that. Thanks!:)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Tortoises is a good choice for a pet. Russians can be very fun. We do have a few breeders on here and they would be your best too buy from. Be sure to have enough space for an adult. That minimum space needed is 4x8 foot. Out door space should always be provided too.

Dorothy L

Houston, Texas, United States of America
So, I don't have much backyard space (I'm forbidden from digging anyway) and there are some predators outside that I don't trust. Don't worry, I'll take the tortoise out for hours a day, I think it'll get enough sunshine. Can you please tell me what all of you used to keep your tortoise(s) especially if it's indoor. All of the containers I found online and in my house aren't 4 by 8 ft.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
So, I don't have much backyard space (I'm forbidden from digging anyway) and there are some predators outside that I don't trust. Don't worry, I'll take the tortoise out for hours a day, I think it'll get enough sunshine. Can you please tell me what all of you used to keep your tortoise(s) especially if it's indoor. All of the containers I found online and in my house aren't 4 by 8 ft.

Tortoises are expensive to look after. Start up costs on the tortoise(s), food, equipment, substrate, and enclosure(s) can reach up to four figures easily depending on the species. They're not the kind of pet that enjoys being handled. It's more of a look from afar with minimal interactions type of pet. A pet (reptiles) with strict dietary, heat, and ultraviolet light requirements which means finding a capable animal babysitter (from friends and or relatives) will be a bit more challenging than one with a more traditional pet.

Animal Plastics is a well reputable brand that makes PVC enclosures up to 8 x 4 feet. You're going to need an outdoor enclosure if you plan on taking a tortoise outside for any amount of time.

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
Welcome! I keep my baby leopard indoors in a 55 gal storage bin with holes cut out on the lid for the heating and lighting. He'll eventually outgrow it but for now it does just fine. Some people also connect multiple storage bins. Just a cheap and easy suggestion :)received_2041904385842910.jpeg

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
I recently bought a Russian. And I love her so much!! Definitely do your research!! Please buy from a reputable place (or else you will stress more and might end up paying more). And slowing start buying supplies! And build your own tortoise table, and ask for help if you don't know how to build something. (I looked into buying something big enough, but it was a upwards of a few hundred. And I built one for less than 70.)
Good luck!!

Bullet's Mom

Wichita, KS
There are tons of table ideas on Pinterest to recycle old bookshelves or dressers or whatever else into enclosures. All different ideas for the amount of money, space and handiness you are working with.

I use a plastic 6x2 stock tank for my redfoot. I used scrap wood pieces to mount the lights on one end and use a shower curtain on a wood frame as a cover to keep the humidity in and my kids toys out. It's not very pretty or big but it does the job for now.

Bullet's Mom

Wichita, KS
Oh i forgot to mention, since it sounds like rent, check to see if any chemicals are used in the yard before you take your tort outside. Any pesticides, insecticides, or fertilizers would be very harmful if ingested.

If chemicals are used or if your not 100% sure, you can still set up yard time on the pavement. Section off an area and give some things he can climb over and explore and eat. Cover the area so predaters can't get to him if you leave him out unattended and he can't climb over or under.