A few quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chreees

5 Year Member
Hi I recently joined the forums but have had my russian Thor since February. I wont say I am an expert but I have done my research quite a bit and am always looking to better Thor's enclosure. A while back I bought a walk in water dish from my local pet breeder/store. The guy said it was a good investment. I don't fill it too high as I am afraid he might drown. The other night I went to grab something and checked on him and he was upside down in it. I am unsure how it happened but his head was out of the water and he was just laying there looking frustrated. My question is should I switch to just a regular water dish or stay with this. I have it almost level with the substrate so that it wouldn't happen but I just wanted some feedback if I should keep it or not. Sorry if my story is unneeded I just like to explain why I am asking my questions.
Also is it bad if I have a small patch of hay in the corner of the inside part of his enclosure? I put it so he can burrow or whatever he wants with it but I read a while ago alfalfa hay is bad for them if they consume it. Thanks, Chris

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hay is not bad if eaten, as a substrate it doesn't really work because it tends to get moldy and has to be replaced, also it does not hold moisture well. Your russian can bury into the substrate and would probably enjoy it better.

As for the water dish I use regular old terra coota saucers (for plants) and various lids from around the house.

Chreees

5 Year Member
The hay is on top of my substrate but it tends to get mixed in with the part its on top of. But I was thinking of coconut coir for a new substrate

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
coconut coir is a fine choice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like those pet store water dishes. They are fine for lizards, but not so good for torts. I use the terra cotta saucers like Captain Awesome.

I also don't use the hay for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.