A few questions...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So are you saying I can get this and the thermostat and not have to worry about the heat pads?

That is correct. Assuming you are using a sealed and insulated box.

As in the linked thread: You'll need to build a barrier to keep the tortoises from touching the actual heater.

TheSulcata

That is correct. Assuming you are using a sealed and insulated box.

As in the linked thread: You'll need to build a barrier to keep the tortoises from touching the actual heater.
Alright, that sounds good. I will try to finish it by the end of January. Thank you so much for your help!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't do that if you really care for them. I have some spare UVB lights and some CHE's tell me what else you need and I would ship it. I have some other stuff too.
You've got cheese to send out ?
Oh, sorry. ;)
Seriously, what a nice chap you are, Craig. :)

TheSulcata

Thanks Adam and no Cheese, that's also my addiction.

Just trying to help this young man out but I understand his worries about strangers.
No worries, I have enough money to get the UV. Thank you anyway cmac.

TheSulcata

What you have to be careful of is that the tortoise doesn't sit directly under the bulb for hours, like all night long, and as I said before, they need it dark at night, but still warm. If you use some sort of over head heat lamp or CHE, use a thermometer and measure the temperature at tortoise shell height for several hours to make sure it isn't getting hot enough to do damage.

Here is where to get the heat mat:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane
I use the 18 x 27" one.

Here is where to get the radiant heat panels:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels
I use the 80 watt ones.

Then you need a thermostat to run them both:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
or
https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/MTPRTC

A cheaper way to go is to buy the thermostat and hook it up to one of these, like in the double door box I posted for you: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Optimus-700W-Mini-Portable-Heater-with-Oil-Filled-Radiator/37948255
So, you said heat lamps dried out their carapace. What about this? It is a UV/heat lamp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, you said heat lamps dried out their carapace. What about this? It is a UV/heat lamp

Yes. Even more so. Those run very hot. You also want the inside of an outdoor box to be dark to simulate a burrow, and you don't need UV if they are outside full time. No reason to spend all the money on that bulb for your situation. Plus recent testing reveals that those bulbs only make UV for about 3 months. Not worth it.

TheSulcata

How big do sulcatas usually need to be to dig? (My ground is kinda hard)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How big do sulcatas usually need to be to dig? (My ground is kinda hard)

Some of them start digging at 4", while other never dig. You will usually see some digging by the time they are 12", but this varies with a lot of factors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, if I chose to do the heat panel\pad option could I choose one or the other and not get the other one?

You need both. One is not enough. These elements are both good because they don't produce blazing, shell burning heat. Because they don't get all that hot, I have found that just one of them is not enough to maintain warm temps in my night boxes here in Southern CA.

TheSulcata

You need both. One is not enough. These elements are both good because they don't produce blazing, shell burning heat. Because they don't get all that hot, I have found that just one of them is not enough to maintain warm temps in my night boxes here in Southern CA.
Ok. I got the oil filled radiator, but can't figure out how to hook up a thermostat with it. How do you do it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. I got the oil filled radiator, but can't figure out how to hook up a thermostat with it. How do you do it?

Plug the thermostat into the wall, then plug the oil heater into the receptacle on the thermostat. Mount the probe far away from the heater, and set the thermostat's dial to about 80-85. Watch the temperature closely for a few days and adjust as needed.

Having a thermometer that records the daily highs and lows is helpful.

TheSulcata

Plug the thermostat into the wall, then plug the oil heater into the receptacle on the thermostat. Mount the probe far away from the heater, and set the thermostat's dial to about 80-85. Watch the temperature closely for a few days and adjust as needed.

Having a thermometer that records the daily highs and lows is helpful.
Oh, ok. Thanks

TheSulcata

I've got another question... I found these strange whitish pink spots on my sulcatas shell when I brushed his shell. I will try to get a good pic... ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486502857.562274.jpg

TheSulcata

I was thinking it might be cuz their shell might be dehydrated, but I soak them 10 minutes every day (unless I'm gone somewhere)