a few food questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Hey all..

I have 3 box turtles...2 ttbt ..1 ornate...and all they seem to want to eat is worms, mealworms, waxworms...

I give them greens and veggies and fruit...BUT..they only want to be carnivores!...they are all adults..and I am concerned they are eating too much protein...

Do you have any advice for how I can get them to eat other stuff?...I can mix it all together...I thought about just giving them the veggies and fruit and sorta give them no option..but then I feel bad that they didn't eat so I give in and give them the "meat"...please help me!!

hazel57

5 Year Member
Oregon
What I do for my three-toeds is buy some veggies and fruit and chop them up a little and mix then in a food processor with a little bit of calcium powder, but don't mix it into a mush just tiny pieces (I got the idea from someone else on here that said that's how she gets her's to eat). I also drop in a earthworm or two and they cannot resist.

It works great! Both of mine wouldn't touch veggies but now they LOVE to eat this mixture.
Hope that helps :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
try not feeding them for two days, give them each a good soak then place them in front of a large saled,

boxies react to certain stimuly when eating SMELL COLOR and MOVEMENT

so we want stinky and colorful : )

try a can of high quality soft cat food low in fat this is stinky : )!!!
as far as colorful try bananas, microwaved (soft) sweet potato ( these are great!)
also dandelion greens from the yard,tomato and whatever else you have laying around such as carrots (use a potato peeler) apple grape lettuse etc

i would try the cat food first, and if they show little intrest make them a saled and leave both in there to see if they eat while your not watching, you can also mix them together, just note they arent going to eat a whole banana so give them some and finish the rest your self : )

Good Luck : )

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I boiled chicken and steamed fish then put it in the food processor to soften it and I froze little packets so a couple times a week I can feed my hatchling with it .. she loves it (I think cause it smells gross :p ) u could also purer in some veggies and fruits then slowly change the amount so its more veggie and less meat

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I make a "turtle buffet" of 50% protein (chopped chicken, turkey, trout chow, dried worms ... whatever they like) 30% choppied veggies, 10% chopped fruit, and 10% greens. I mix it all together, and then feed it. They will go for the protein at first, but then they will start getting little bits and pieces of the other until they discover they like it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.