the feeding issue..

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
so my three-toeds ate better when they were in the house and they had a better variety that they were willing to try. Now that they are outside, i suspect they are eating more worms and bugs in their enclosure. They don't seem to want much else. I have offered scrambled egg and they have eaten it but that is more protein, wwhen i want them to eat more veggie.

Ilene has only eaten mealworms and earthworms. but since i am trying to get her to gain weight, i am just letting her have more worms. I have been trying everything with her but she refuses to eat anything if it is not alive. SO- do i keep giving worms, or should i stop giving protein and keep trying to give the veggie mixes?

i try to give yellow/orange veggies like semi cooked butternut squash, yams, babyfood carrot, along with dandelion greens or romaine lettuce. i add applesauce that is not sweetened, but most of this gets eaten by the little ants in the enclosure.

What do you all do in a case like this? i hate to spoil them on worms but i also don't want them to starve.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I withhold the animal protein for a few days and only feed fruit and veg. Also, when I do feed the animal protein, I chop up the fruit and veg into small pieces and make a pile, then I put the worms (or whatever) on top of the pile. They usually eat a bit of the fruit and veg accidentally because it sticks to the worms. Then when the worms are gone, they may eat the rest of the food too.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Are you feeding everyday? I find feeding 3 times a week keeps them more willing to eat the veggies and fruits.

This is my personal opinion, but I think their diet is higher in live foods and things like berries than we believe. So i don't stress over the protein and fruit too much. I offer greens and they nibble on it but the live food and fruit is a bigger % of the diet.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i try to feed every other day or every 3rd day. i have tried chopping everything small enough but not too small. they just don't seem to want the veg/fruit so i get nervous. maybe i will try offering fruit /veg 2 times a week and protein only once a week, but it is difficult to know they do need some veg in theri diet and they are not eating it.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
When in doubt, fire up the blender.....blend baby blend! I make a mean mash, place some whole fruit or already boiled sweet potatoe(mine can't contain themselves from the irresistible smell) around it or in the mash. Then place a few calci-worms or meal worms also on top of the mash. Every chomp gets some mash. I feed mine 2 to 3 times a week. Some extra days they get spoiled with some freshly picked items. As for the mash, I use items like mango, strawberry, premium canned dog food, boiled carrots, greens, corn(no sodium), berries, etc.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it may be due to the fact they just moved outside and are exposed to colder temps and less daylight as opposed to indoors . i've seen this and i think the change in temp and light can confuse them ......i would think they'll get to be much better eaters as the weather warms up ...... like Eric said as far as non-living food , mine are most attracted to strawberries , sweet potatoes , and bananas ....... as far as dog food i use frozen bil-jac ........ mine do really like minnows from the bait shop ., and pellet gamefish food , i think the one i have now are trout pellets ..........

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My boxies go crazy for mango and kiwi. Oddly, one of them hates bananas.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
So today i bought a bag of Frozen fruit. it had peaches, strawberry and banana in it, so i thawed some out and gave to all my turts. Ilene actually ate most of hers, Yay! the other 2 had a bite or so.
I keep frozen fruit in my freezer always!