A clutch of leopard tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Here is a picture of my Levi and his clutchmates.

You can see some have single spots, some have the double spots in the scutes. All of them have speckled skin.
The breeder keeps both Babcocki and Pardalis leopards. I have read through some threads here and understand its not common for a pure line and very few breeders are known to have pure lines.

Levi was sold to me as a Babcocki, but because of his speckled skin and some of his clutchmates having double spots in the scutes, would it be safe to assume or label my leopard as a pardalis/babcocki cross or hybrid?

The breeder says the parents of this clutch were babcocki and I have photos of the parents. (Im not sure if I can post those pictures..)

So, what would you say??

View attachment 29886

Last edited by a moderator:

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Beautiful little group! How does he know he has paradalis and babcocki? Does he keep them together? Some of those babies definitely look to have paradalis in their bloodlines.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There's definitely some pardalis traits there, but for the most part I see babcocki traits. The breeder is probably not breeding pure pardalis with babcocki, and more likely breeding tortoises that already have mixed genetics.

That's just my guess. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Neal said:
There's definitely some pardalis traits there, but for the most part I see babcocki traits. The breeder is probably not breeding pure pardalis with babcocki, and more likely breeding tortoises that already have mixed genetics.

this is my guess too. already mixed genes. but what would i call my little guy? i felt funny referring to him as babcocki so i just relabeled him as Leopard tortoise in my signature ;)

tortadise said:
Cool. The bottom left and top middle are gonna be super nice. They are so light.

my guy is from the bottom left ;)

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Beautiful little group! How does he know he has paradalis and babcocki? Does he keep them together? Some of those babies definitely look to have paradalis in their bloodlines.

im not sure if she keeps them together. like most breeders i wasn't allowed to visit her house for pick up. we met up at a local CVS ;) i actually only ever heard her refer to them as babcocki but at one time i inquired about a larger one she was selling. story goes it was a 10" male from her breeding group but she was cutting down her breeding stock. when i received pictures he had a pattern like the pardalis enough so to make me think so. then as i remembered the double spotted scutes i figured it was possible.

either way i'm only asking out of curiosity. i felt funny labeling my guy a babcocki when it seems he could have mixed/ heavily mixed genetics???

i'll just stick to calling him my "leopard tortoise" :p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Here's my viewpoint - There are two types of leopards in the US, pure South African leopards, and the rest...no hybrids or mixes...just the rest which up until now I just referred to as babcocki, but I guess technically they wouldn't be called that either. Unless you buy a pure South African leopard tortoise from one of the few breeders in the US...your leopard tortoise belongs in the "other" category.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
cool. well put and thanks!
Neal said:
Here's my viewpoint - There are two types of leopards in the US, pure South African leopards, and the rest...no hybrids or mixes...just the rest which up until now I just referred to as babcocki, but I guess technically they wouldn't be called that either. Unless you buy a pure South African leopard tortoise from one of the few breeders in the US...your leopard tortoise belongs in the "other" category.

the parents of my Levi

View attachment 29897
View attachment 29898

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:

I agree that this does describe most of them. Rare exceptions to this...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Team Gomberg said:
the parents of my Levi

I see the dark skin on the male, but the carapace doesn't jump out at me as being South African, so I would say he is a mix of both types. It's hard to tell, but the female appears to be predominately babcocki or "other" as I am going to now put it.

This is just me guessing again.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
thanks you guys. i was glad to get your input on this.
im going to keep Levi labeled as "leopard tortoise" and am totally happy with that :D

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I got mine from a breeder in Arizona who said it's Babcocki, and many of those in the pic seem identical to mine as far as the spots go. Those in the pic are closest to mine than any other pics I've seen. Woody's reptiles.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tortus said:
I got mine from a breeder in Arizona who said it's Babcocki, and many of those in the pic seem identical to mine as far as the spots go. Those in the pic are closest to mine than any other pics I've seen. Woody's reptiles.

I've seen the ads on Kingsnake by Woody's reptiles. They are pretty babies. It sounds like he also had some that he sells as PP's, but don't know if they are pure or not. Is he is Phx or Tucson?

What is his name?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tom said:
You've got a mix there.

Tom's right on the money ........
Good looking clutch ~:)

Neal said:

I would back that guess! ......:D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
He looks great though! :D But yes definitely a mix you have there. Mine is purely Babckoci :) see? I got him from Eweezyfosheezy :)

Attachments

• image-3154231221.png
    image-3154231221.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image-2756024134.png
    image-2756024134.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image-3498291660.png
    image-3498291660.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image-657517893.png
    image-657517893.png
    183.8 KB · Views: 30

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
Tortus said:

I've seen the ads on Kingsnake by Woody's reptiles. They are pretty babies. It sounds like he also had some that he sells as PP's, but don't know if they are pure or not. Is he is Phx or Tucson?

What is his name?

Tortus..nevermind the question, i remember now :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.