90 gallon aquarium?

J H

5 Year Member
I got roxy on Saturday and plan to make a closed chamber this summer. (I'm remodeling my home so time is tight for a few months). I found a 90 gallon tank for $60 with a stand. I figure I can close most of the top and trap humidity well enough for now. Roxy is about the size of a baseball now. That should be a good enough size tank for a few months right? It's 48" x 18". She was in a 10 gallon very dry with prev owners. Has pyramiding but eats / poops / pees PLENTY!image.jpeg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I got roxy on Saturday and plan to make a closed chamber this summer. (I'm remodeling my home so time is tight for a few months). I found a 90 gallon tank for $60 with a stand. I figure I can close most of the top and trap humidity well enough for now. Roxy is about the size of a baseball now. That should be a good enough size tank for a few months right? It's 48" x 18". She was in a 10 gallon very dry with prev owners. Has pyramiding but eats / poops / pees PLENTY!View attachment 170228

Yes, that is a good size for a bit....just make sure to check your temps at tortoise height for day and night before you set up the tortoise in it....adorable tort by the way....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
48x18" is a 60 gallon, unless its 24" tall which won't help the tortoise any.

I think that is fine for a hatchling, but much too small for a baseball sized tortoise. They need more room to move than that. Its definitely better than a 10 gallon, but I don't think that should be what we measure against. Go BIG! Make a 3x6' or 4x8' closed chamber and be done with building until he's big enough to live outside full time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Think about it - aquariums are meant to hold water. That means the 'gallon' measurement is including the whole aquarium. What you want is a big floor space, not something with tall sides that will hold gallons.

J H

5 Year Member
Yep I know the floor space is key. This is temporary. I figured the height of the tank which is 21 or 24" would allow me to put heat lights in it and cover most of top to trap humidity until I have time to build a big closed chamber

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yep I know the floor space is key. This is temporary. I figured the height of the tank which is 21 or 24" would allow me to put heat lights in it and cover most of top to trap humidity until I have time to build a big closed chamber

Exactly what I thought you were thinking....:D If you are going to place the fixtures inside then please do make sure to get the temps set solid before you place the tortoise in there.....you do not want a fried tortoise...you know?

J H

5 Year Member
Yep. I'll set it up for a day or two first and watch closely awhile after I put her in.