Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Right now, I have a 20 gallon tank for my little one to stay in, I have plans to move it to a closed chamber, (My step dad is building this for me) I know 20 gallon is small but I have a 40 gallon tank awaiting the baby if the 20 gallon doesn't work out. I have planted grass inside my current tank (grew it myself from my garden) Right now everything seems to be working out fine! The humidity is ok, and everything else too. But how long can my baby stay in a 20 gallon tank (The 40 gallon tank is in use by my snake right now but he out grows it in about a month or two)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A baby sulcata will outgrow a 20 gallon tank in about three months, but they all grow at different rates, so no one can really say for sure.

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! A 20 gallon isn’t really gonna be able to give you a proper temperature gradient. And a healthy sulcata, is a growing machine. How big is yours? They also need high humidity, what is your plan for that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think a 20 gallon is too small for a brand new hatchling. I wouldn't use anything less than a 40 and a 100 would be better.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I think a 20 gallon is too small for a brand new hatchling. I wouldn't use anything less than a 40 and a 100 would be better.
I know. I am in the process of making a closed chamber. It should be done in a week

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Welcome! A 20 gallon isn’t really gonna be able to give you a proper temperature gradient. And a healthy sulcata, is a growing machine. How big is yours? They also need high humidity, what is your plan for that?
Well hes like, a new hatchling. A bit bigger than a quarter. I heard you can put tinfoil on the tob of the tanks mesh lid and enclose the air, so I hope this works for keeping in humidity.Hes doing pretty dang good right now. Hes eating, very active too. He gets an hour of sun everyday, and 20 minutes of soaking daily too. I believe my sulcata is about 2-3 weeks old.

Reactions: Tom