Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
emysemys said:
Or it was stolen....Just sayin'

Thats what I said. Someone out here could EASILY be breeding or has some of these and it could have gotten stolen. That would be very likely :-/ I am 80-90% sure it was a ploughshare tortoise.

Tom said:
Go get a pic Tortoiseboy.

Who is calling it a ploughshare? Who did the ID? I'll bet $10 its a sulcata or a CDT.

Ken, Thanks for the heads up. I think we'll all be rolling our eyes at the inaccuracies, and arguing about the details. :) Fun stuff...

I did the ID. Sorry everyone if it's not one but I'm pretty darn sure it is! Let me search around in my iPod for pics.... I might have some....

I couldn't find any pics :(

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Go back and get more pictures and find out if you can buy it for more than what was paid. You can tell them about how it needs this, that and the other and they might think it is more of a headache than it is worth. I am sure someone will be able to provide it with a good home, regardless of what it is. That is just my two cents worth.:)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
emysemys said:
Baoh said:
People say things.

Or it was stolen....Just sayin'

What do you find more probable? A stolen ploughshare tortoise, one of the rarest tortoises in the world, offered for $10 by a guy on a bike, or a mistake of identification?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, ok...I get your point. I get RES all the time from people telling me they are little tortoises.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
If Hugh Jackman is narrating, that is enough for me :p

And I dunno about the ploughshare story, but people come on here all the time with their Chacos that were sold to them as sulcatas, so I suppose it's possible

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
emysemys said:
Ok, ok...I get your point. I get RES all the time from people telling me they are little tortoises.

Yes. I once had an employee in a Petsmart in a lower income neighborhood tell me his Russian tortoises were "like four feet long".

CourtneyAndCarl said:
If Hugh Jackman is narrating, that is enough for me :p

And I dunno about the ploughshare story, but people come on here all the time with their Chacos that were sold to them as sulcatas, so I suppose it's possible

By strict definition of possibility, yes, in the same way that a girl on a tricycle could possibly ride by while dragging a Radio Flyer with a Northern white rhinoceros calf wearing a bonnet in it and offer it to me for five dollars and some Twizzlers.

While strictly possible, it is also highly improbable.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Baoh said:
What do you find more probable? A stolen ploughshare tortoise, one of the rarest tortoises in the world, offered for $10 by a guy on a bike, or a mistake of identification?

Ok ok. I was pretty sure though. I guess it will be left a mystery forever..... :p Because it's not like I'll ever see him OR his tortoise ever again :p So oh well people. Sorry! :p

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
Awesome '60 minutes'

Didn't know were to put this so move if needed . .thanks
60 Minutes cameras capture rare footage of the plowshare tortoise laying eggs, a species endangered by poaching and habitat loss. Lesley Stahl reports on Sunday, Dec. 9 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Joiner

5 Year Member
I just got done watching and it was so heartbreaking and inspirational. It was a good reminder for me how important conservation is and how I can start even at home with my little turtle family and who knows what will grow from it.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Just finished watching it, Pretty cool seeing them find a ploughshare in the wild. What I didnt like was watching them engrave on the shells so potential buyers wont be as interested in them. Anyone that is in the market for one would probably still buy it with a engraved shell. A very beautiful tortoise

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I just watched it…wished it were longer. It was great to see mainstream tv reporting covering something of this importance that get little free tv exposure.
As for the defacing of the shells, it diminishes the value. Gold in rock with impurities is still gold but clean gold is so much nicer to have. It doesn't affect the animal but it affects the human. Who knows, maybe future plowshares will take on a black marking for survival because they live longer and aren't as desirable as the pure gold shelled ones, therefore they live longer to reproduce.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
So great to see this special. I was happy to see them talk about other species, as well as the great work that Mr. Goode and the Turtle Conservancy do. I always thought their 100 dollar membership dues were too expensive, but it really is a great organization.

It is sad to see them deface the shells, but it's alot better than a 100 year old tortoise as rare as A. ynphora losing it's life.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
tortoises101 said:
Says its not available in my country. :( What a shame. I love learning about the species.

Where there's a will...

use a proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.