$50 plant/flower/garden budget per month, what do i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So my landlord said i could use 50 dollars a month of my rent money and get stuff for the yard...

Now he wants it all for the yard, i want to figure out how to coordinate the yard and tort area...

So what can you think of that i could plant that my torts would love to eat on...

Front of house

yardpics001.jpg

yardpics004.jpg

yardpics003.jpg

yardpics002.jpg

yardpics006.jpg

yardpics005.jpg

yardpics007.jpg

yardpics009.jpg

yardpics010.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well I am a hibiscus fan myself, and they are 5 bucks right now at walmart in the one gallon pots. I might also go with petunias, I bought a bunch at 82. cents a six pack (clearance), If I spent 50 bucks a month on plants I would have a forest growing there pretty soon.

A few hibiscus plants growing in front of your tortoise pen might block it from street view.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
dmmj said:
well I am a hibiscus fan myself, and they are 5 bucks right now at walmart in the one gallon pots. I might also go with petunias, I bought a bunch at 82. cents a six pack (clearance), If I spent 50 bucks a month on plants I would have a forest growing there pretty soon.

A few hibiscus plants growing in front of your tortoise pen might block it from street view.

Being in Sacramento, it gets to cold, my hibiscus was shipped up here to me from brea and it has almost died.

I am thinking about "Arctotis" African dasieys in some of the bare spots

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are many different colors of Gazania. Its edible and it spreads nicely.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What about some Rose of Sharon trees? They also have a small one called Little Kim. They are hardy, flower all summer, and you can feed the leaves to your torts.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
let me google that...

Now that is nice!!!!!

IT seems my nursery doesnt carry it.. it may not survive here in zone 9b
its a zone 5

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I like Dichondra for ground cover. It is actually labeled as Tortoise food at the nursery. Flats are $20.

What about a water feature for the Tortoise pen? Like a shallow pan.

For more stability of the cinder block wall, you'll want to stagger the blocks so they are not stacked one on top of the other. I'd like to see some pen pics.

How about growing food to hide the pen?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Something you need to think about is that if you buy plants from a nursery that aren't marked organic (rare to find), you should wait about 6 months to feed from them. Some people don't see a problem with it, but I don't feel comfortable taking any chances. Any kind of edible flowers would be great and I bet your landlord would like that more than weeds since they look nice too, lol. What about a grape plant for the leaves?

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Our Frank is partial to radishes and they are 3-4 weeks from seed to maturity in warm weather so that might be an option. There are about a million seeds in a $1 bag at home depot and you can just scatter them and they will take off.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
webskipper said:
I like Dichondra for ground cover. It is actually labeled as Tortoise food at the nursery. Flats are $20.

What about a water feature for the Tortoise pen? Like a shallow pan.

For more stability of the cinder block wall, you'll want to stagger the blocks so they are not stacked one on top of the other. I'd like to see some pen pics.

How about growing food to hide the pen?

I have dichondra seed, they get plenty of that.. I was thinking of things for the bare picture areas... its got to be pretty for others to see and edible!

Everyone: thank you for the help, i will figure it all out

Status
Not open for further replies.