What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
Last September, some of you may remember, Bella (Russian) went missing about he middle of the month....she showed in the back yard when spring came. What should I do this year? Do I leave her in her enclosure and let her hibernate there, or bring her in? If i leave her in her enclosure, is there anything different I should do for her to ready it for winter?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer to hibernate animals indoors in safer conditions. I use various containers and keep them in my garage down on the cold concrete slab. This way they are not at the mercy of any crazy weather conditions. Also, since they are basically asleep, they don't care if they are in a shoebox or a dirt hole outside. Makes no difference to them, but I sure sleep better on a rainy or freezing winter night.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I have an old shed out back that will be torn down next summer but for now it holds lawn mower and that sort of stuff....should I put dirt in it from our yard and let her dig down for the winter and when exactly should I do this?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The last couple of years the weather has been so different .....I am in line with Tom onthis....my only concern with the shed would be the fumes in the shed with mower gas and the like....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shed might work if you remove the fume generating stuff. I'd use a cooler with a very small amount of ventilation. I used to use a ball point pen tube shut in between the lid and the top for this. And of course use at least two thermometers to monitor temps. Different people have different preferences, I like it 45-55. With a cooler you could always add ice bottles or something similar on an unseasonably warm day. Or a little heat on an exceptionally cold night.

Like Terry says though. Hibernation is NOT a requirement.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I'm now confused...I don't know what to do do. The first couple of years I had her back home, I kept her inside in a great big tupper ware container....then she got here in AZ and did her hibernation thingie, which is her normal behavior, so....what do do?

Blondeangel

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
I honestly didn't know Russians (well, kind of tortoise's in general really) hibernated until this past spring, when people were talking about their's waking up. Mine is up & waiting for breakfast at 9:30am everyday, then goes on his afternoon strolls around the patio. Florida really doesn't have season's, so maybe that is why his routine hasn't changed since we've had him. Seeing how its not a "must" thing, I'm assuming that it isn't a critical aspect of their wellbeing (in captivity anyways), I wouldn't attempt to make this happen on my own personally. Too much could go wrong in my mind...

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Blondeangel...I was born and raised in Daytona Beach.....aaaaaaanyway, last winter here, our first here, we had a couple of days at 0 and a little bit below......guess I'll just bring her in the house

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
LadyV said:
Blondeangel...I was born and raised in Daytona Beach.....aaaaaaanyway, last winter here, our first here, we had a couple of days at 0 and a little bit below......guess I'll just bring her in the house
First of all, I am by no means an expert on Turtles or Tortoises, but I only take my RT's outside on Sunny, warm days, indoors at night.
My water Turtles live outside from about May to October, at which time I bring them indoors. I'm in Northern Utah where the weather is unpredictable.:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.