4 Red Ear Sliders

ROVERDOSE

Location (City and/or State)
AL
This is Merlin (17 years old) and Ben. He was too big for the pond (75 lbs) so I got him his own. However, Flanders (85lbs) decided it should be his and Merlin is ok. He spent 2 winters when it was below 65 degrees with his hare in my house. His previous owner promised to bring the winterized home to me...like I said 2 winters I picked him up and carried him into my home sometimes over 30 ft. I lost use of my right arm and leg. 3 months of PT and chiropractor and a final phone call to bring his home or pick him up...home with heater, red light and wireless thermometer was delivered within a day. He loves his playmates Flanders and Clarine. I catch them all the time nestled together with Merlin usually asleep between the 2 goats. He is a male - I have seen evidence - scary!!! His first owners sadly feed him dog food... now he enjoys a healthy diet with occasional treats. If anyone can identify the sexs of my 4 sliders and help with the attacker, I would appreciate it. Once again - if anyone wants to see the video I waited around and took today of Moe attacking Squirtal to help me identify what is going on - please send me your email or text #...I would certainly appreciate all HELP!!!Watermellon.JPGTortoise and the hare.jpegPond hog.jpeg
Merlin and Ben.jpeg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I've lost partial usage I'm my right arm. But stuff has recovered recently quite a bit actually!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The first three are sliders. But I think they are all yellow belly sliders on red ear sliders. The last one is a map turtle
I think they are Yellow bellied sliders. The last one looks like a midland painted. The difference between them all is they are not RES. Males have long front claws that they use to fan the face of a female to breed. I don't think the fourth turtle is a map...I think it's a Midland...sorry mark...lol...

ROVERDOSE

AL
I've lost partial usage I'm my right arm. But stuff has recovered recently quite a bit actually!!!
3 months PT and then I asked to go to Chiropractor. 3 visits and not lifting a 75 lb Africa Sulcatta did the trick. I finally taught him to literally walk into my house, however they are not very fast and in the winter, burr! I can send you a video - if you want plus - I know I posted a lot and we did not get off to a good start, however I see you are a very active member and would love help sexing my 4 sliders. If anyone can look at the video I made yesterday of Moe attacking Squirtal and offer suggestions I would be so grateful. I promised that mom I would take care of her baby. Do you like my Merlin photos? Look that big ole creature. It has taken 3 years and now he walks over to me, eats out of my hand and lets me rub his neck. I am waiting for him to dance when I rub his shell!!! Thank you for everything!

ROVERDOSE

AL
the 4th is a map...I did think midland...but it has stripes so map
Thank you. Any reason to be "alerted" for this baby for the future, since the other 3 are sliders? I read up and have been wanting to place wood in there for them to crawl on. I cut down a crape myrtle and saved some cool branches to hopefully put in the pond. They have been weather for a couple of years...can I place them in the water?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you. Any reason to be "alerted" for this baby for the future, since the other 3 are sliders? I read up and have been wanting to place wood in there for them to crawl on. I cut down a crape myrtle and saved some cool branches to hopefully put in the pond. They have been weather for a couple of years...can I place them in the water?
Why wood? The sun heats up rocks, they all would like to have a rock...
me too. The exact thing happened. I was an otr truck driver, broke my wrist. lost the use

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
ROVERDOSE...Your Sulcata looks good. But even in Alabama he needs a heated house to keep him at 85 degrees during the winter...Sulcata are my species, oh and "he" looks female. The gulars are short and face is female...Just a guess tho...a warm room won't get it, does he have a basking light? Post a photo of the vent if you can tip him over...lol
This is Mary Knobbins when she escaped from her pen and climbed up 7 stairs to my deck. Do a search for her and you'll see what a real Sulcata trouble maker looks like. Don't you worry about the Sulcata eating goat poop?100_2992.JPG

ROVERDOSE

AL
Why wood? The sun heats up rocks, they all would like to have a rock...

me too. The exact thing happened. I was an otr truck driver, broke my wrist. lost the use
I my pond area is my office area - it is enclosed...I have posted a long thread of posts yesterday asking for help. The contractor in charge of this project walked off the job with my $ and I am needing help.

ROVERDOSE

AL
ROVERDOSE...Your Sulcata looks good. But even in Alabama he needs a heated house to keep him at 85 degrees during the winter...Sulcata are my species, oh and "he" looks female. The gulars are short and face is female...Just a guess tho...a warm room won't get it, does he have a basking light? Post a photo of the vent if you can tip him over...lol
This is Mary Knobbins when she escaped from her pen and climbed up 7 stairs to my deck. Do a search for her and you'll see what a real Sulcata trouble maker looks like. Don't you worry about the Sulcata eating goat poop?View attachment 347456
He has a great home now. It stays around 90 in the winter. When he came into my house I have a couple of Bearden dragons, so that room was always 85 + in the winter. Male/female - I do not think what I have seen come out of him when he pees and literally rubs himself on the ground (I am trying to be nice here) is a female. It is like an alien, ha!!!! Goat poo is so little and I scoop dog, goat and Sulcatta poop several times daily. My reasons for scooping is more for m dogs not to eat his delicious poo. I have high grass and he gets a good diet of greens, fruits and veggies daily. Plus he and the goats share Timothy hay - they love it!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I my pond area is my office area - it is enclosed...I have posted a long thread of posts yesterday asking for help. The contractor in charge of this project walked off the job with my $ and I am needing help.
I'm sorry, frankly, I stopped reading when I believed you were some kind of a jerk. I do apologize for that, but I most probably couldn't help you with contractors anyway. Sorry if I am laughing at your description of his maleness...as I use that same description...haha...things sound good in this post...except for the dog crap...you will get reamed for fido and tortoise in the same area.Danger Mr Robinson Danger Danger

ROVERDOSE

AL
I'm sorry, frankly, I stopped reading when I believed you were some kind of a jerk. I do apologize for that, but I most probably couldn't help you with contractors anyway. Sorry if I am laughing at your description of his maleness...as I use that same description...haha...things sound good in this post...except for the dog crap...you will get reamed for fido and tortoise in the same area.Danger Mr Robinson Danger Danger
I did not know how else to explain why I see coming out of my boy! That's why I scoop several times a day, mainly due to the Sulcatta poo. Merlin has a great life and loves hanging with my goats and dogs. No problems with any of that, he actually seeks them out when I let them in the back yard and if one lays down - he lays down with them. He is a pack animal...I do not know if Sulcatta are - but he loves his goats and dogs and I assure you - I SCOOP POO!!!! ha

ROVERDOSE

AL
I did not know how else to explain why I see coming out of my boy! That's why I scoop several times a day, mainly due to the Sulcatta poo. Merlin has a great life and loves hanging with my goats and dogs. No problems with any of that, he actually seeks them out when I let them in the back yard and if one lays down - he lays down with them. He is a pack animal...I do not know if Sulcatta are - but he loves his goats and dogs and I assure you - I SCOOP POO!!!! ha
Also, please explain why danger for my dogs with my Sulcatta. Literally Merlin seeks them out and they lay there together. However my 3 dogs are 10 lbs and 17 lbs and are house dogs that only go out to "bathroom" and usually in my side yard where Merlin is not kept. Merlin walks up and down the fence trying to be with them. He is an interesting creature. When I made out my will, my first item is my 2 goats and Merlin! They will have a great place with $ needed to take care of there every need...as well all know Merlin will outlive us all!

ROVERDOSE

AL
This is Mary Knobbins when she escaped from her pen and climbed up 7 stairs to my deck. Do a search for her and you'll see what a real Sulcata trouble maker looks like. Don't you worry about the Sulcata eating goat poop?View attachment 347456
Merlin climbs 4 stairs to get into my goat house to be with the goats when flies bother the goats. Flies - a southern thing! It worried me, I was afraid I would come out and find him on his back. I now have cameras so I can see what they all are up to:).