2 Headed Turtle in San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It is likely to have any number of internal defects as well as the very visible conjoined problem. This is not uncommon, but their other problems mean that they rarely live long.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Doesn't turtleshack sell a two headed turtle? So why would they if they don't live long, that's kind of cheating out the buyer.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yes, it is kind of "cheating out" the buyer. Actually, a lot of novelty animals tend to be unhealthy. Albinos are more likely to go blind, morphs are more likely to be inbred, etc. There's a reason wild animals look the way the do, and it's usually better just to go as close to the normal wildtype as possible. And yet breeders charge more for novelties. This seems like cheating, but it's just supply and demand. I think if consumers knew what they were getting into, then they wouldn't demand them...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There are many, many Red Ears and other Sliders that are conjoined and make it to maturity just fine. There are a few collectors in the US that have collections that only consist of two headed Turtles...

Just because one is morally opposed to such animals, doesn't mean mis-information has to be spread about them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this turtle a bit lighter than normal? Maybe leucistic? I think he's just beautiful! I'm not "into" the strange and weird, but aside from the fact he has two heads, he's awfully pretty.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
EricIvins said:
There are many, many Red Ears and other Sliders that are conjoined and make it to maturity just fine. There are a few collectors in the US that have collections that only consist of two headed Turtles...

Just because one is morally opposed to such animals, doesn't mean mis-information has to be spread about them...

It's not misinformation. Most two-headed animals die young. Two-headed snakes have a better survival rate than two-headed turtles, but even they die young more often than normal snakes do.

And besides, the darn thing has two heads. That is, in and of itself, an abnormality. I really don't see why people find this stuff cool. It's sad. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.