2 babies together :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkers

5 Year Member
I have been told a few times that sulcatas do not like tank mates or yard mates.. I did not know of this at the time of purchase last year unfortunately.. I have had both about 8 months and one has not grown at all and the other is a monster.. Both eat well and temps has humidity are good and have never seen bullying.. So why is one growing slower (or not at all) than the other? Thanks fellow tortoise freaks
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367463287.749238.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Are you 100% sure the smaller one is actually eating good? Separate them for a month or so and see if the little one puts on some growth. If so, you most likely had bullying going on that you didn't know of. BTW, read the second thread below in my post. They are a member Toms and the best way a sully should be raised, hot and humid. Your temps should be 80 with a 80% humidity and 95+ basking. All good stuff in the thread.

Sorry, I didn't notice the pic before I posted. You really need to separate them. The one is a lot larger and I'm sure you will see a big difference with them separated. If you don't already have bullying happening, it most likely will be soon.
Btw, bullying can be as subtle as the little one eating and the bigger one starts coming towards the food and the little one stops eating or walks away.

Walkers

5 Year Member
Thank you! Everything is good, between 100-105 basking, around 80% humidity and 72-80 in the cool area of the tank.. Ill try separating them and see what happens..I see both of them pig out very well!! Kinda bizarre though right? The size difference?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not bizarre at all. Very common when they are kept in pairs. I'd say its the norm. The size difference could be from many things. It could be from the stress of being in a pair situation or it could be the result of the care they got right after hatching and before you got them.

Where did you get them and how we're they started and housed when they hatched? Rabbit pellets? No water bowl? Weekly soaks? Did the breeder use a brooder box or leave them in the incubator eating their substrate for a week right after emerging from the egg?

In any case, separating them ought to help. Also, with that level of humidity, the cool side should not ever drop below 80, day or night.

Walkers

5 Year Member
I bought them from LLL reptiles.. They were kept on reptibark I believe and they did have a water bowl.. Could one have a possible impaction?

cally

5 Year Member
They are so cuute! The even smaller one makes me smile :] i wish i could have went with them, however i just dont have the right weather here :/ but i love my russian- how are the two of them together??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
An impaction? Maybe. I don't think he would be eating a lot, though. A parasite infestation might be the cause. When my sulcata was that age he was eating ok, just did not seem to grow. Once his pinworm infestation was diagnosed and treated he begin to grow and grow and grow. Take a fecal sample to a reptile vet for examination. If they are clean then you have eliminated one possible cause.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
they are so cute. I'd separate them first, and if the little one doesn't start to grow, i'd take it to the vet to see if it has a parasite or impaction. I'm guessing it's just bullying and should be fixed while being separated. :)

BK-JAY

5 Year Member
Brooklyn New York
lately I been seeing few members speaking about there tortoise having worms what causes it. Is it very common? and if so should they be treated every so offend for it?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The treatment kills good parasites as well as the bad guys. They need the good parasites for proper digestion. Usually, not always, panacur is prescribed. I take a fecal sample to my Vet every 12 to 18 months for testing. My tortoise lives outside all year. He doesn't come in contact with other animals, but from time to time I see him eat a piece of bird dropping. Testing just reassures me that his digestive tract is free of worms.

BrittanyyDawnn

5 Year Member
I have two torts in the same tank and they are fine. They have never had any problems like this. :(

I hope you find out what is wrong soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BrittanyyDawnn said:
I have two torts in the same tank and they are fine. They have never had any problems like this. :(

I hope you find out what is wrong soon!

Keep a close eye on them. Although there is always an exception to the rule, the chances are better that you will soon have problems. Just be aware so you can catch it before its too late.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have 3 sulcatas together and they are fine as well.
Good luck.

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue and Baxter
3 sulcatas Donatello, Penny, and Charlie.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
In my opinion, you should Seperate them immediatly. They do not do well when kept in pairs. Ive known several friends to do this its never turned out well. However this is just my opinon.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.