keeping 2 tortoises together

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Manassas,VA
I just read this, my torts are litter mates. Last year they started mating. I am now concerned about all that was mentioned. They currently live in an indoor enclosure that is probably not the best since reading all about that too. Question, if I move them outside do I still need to separate them. I watch them and it seems they go their separate ways. I also don't know if she will lay eggs or not. I read somewhere else it can be as long as 2 years before. I'm so under educated now that I have been reading all these posts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just read this, my torts are litter mates. Last year they started mating. I am now concerned about all that was mentioned. They currently live in an indoor enclosure that is probably not the best since reading all about that too. Question, if I move them outside do I still need to separate them. I watch them and it seems they go their separate ways. I also don't know if she will lay eggs or not. I read somewhere else it can be as long as 2 years before. I'm so under educated now that I have been reading all these posts.
It's common for "litter mates" to be the same sex, so chances are good that rather than mating you were seeing aggression.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoise biology means the majority of a clutch are the same sex. one does not want the other around. Seperate enclosures. Trust me if my brother tried mounting me all the time, I would want to get out of there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think this was a double post and we answered her in the other one back when it was first posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think this was a double post and we answered her in the other one back when it was first posted.
I split it off from the other thread because it wasn't really responding to the original question/statement of the thread.

Reactions: Tom