1st post. EBT died after 30 yrs

Lissa

Location (City and/or State)
Lansing, Michigan
My name is Melissa or just Lissa. I've been a member for almost a year. I was gathering info on my EBT I got when I was 8. When we bought Rexford from the pet store we were given bad information for which we followed most of her life. CFL bulbs, heat rocks, aquarium, reptile carpet. I moved out a 18 and like most kids left my mom to take care of her. I brought her to my house last year (after 29 yrs at my parents). That's when I joined the forum to find out what we'd been doing wrong. Her shell growth was pretty bad, red eyes but otherwise healthy. She had been to the vet several times throughout the years so she wasn't neglected but we were never told to change her environment.

I brought her home got her out of the aquarium to a plastic stock tank, removed the heat rock, used a long uv bulb & heat emitter (tried a mvb but seemed to dry out her cage too much)gave her substrate, misted several times daily. I had a garden box built outside for her 7' by 3.5' with a chicken wire lid. She was so happy & active with her new environment then she started slowing down in the last couple of weeks & died on Thursday 11/19/2015. I feel just awful what a bad parent I was for so long listening to pet store advise. She was an adult when we got her so she was close to 40.

Long story but my point is that I'm looking into getting a hermann from Garden State because of the wonderful reviews on this forum. I was not looking while Rexford was alive but now that she's gone I miss the joy of taking care of a tortoise & the calm they bring just watching them. 20150206_165559.jpg20150206_165559.jpg20150121_120734.jpg20150206_165559.jpg20150121_120734.jpg20150206_165559.jpg 20150121_120734.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melissa, and welcome to the Forum!

Aw, what a shame. I'm so sorry you've lost your turtle. 30 years! That's a pretty long time for a pet turtle. I think @terryo had one for that long too.

Lissa

Lansing, Michigan
I've done a lot of research on which tortoise fits best in my environment. The hermann's seem to be very similar in the needs of an EBT. Chris has been very helpful. I'm just a little worried about a baby but he said that's the best because the older ones are more set in their ways & get stressed.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's always tough, and after that long, I am sure even tougher.

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome! So sorry about your loss, she was a pretty girl, almost looks like a statue in that water bowl ;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum and very sorry for your lost.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
We've had our California Desert Tortoises for many, many years; our beautiful female since 1970, and her son who hatched in 1984. The father passed during the winter of 2013. I'd had him since I was in 2nd grade in 1952. They, as are we, are long lived friends.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Hi Lissa, I'm so sorry for the loss of Rexford. I lost my hermann's last year and bought a Greek from Chris at Garden State last March. I was hesitant at first because I felt so bad about losing Nelson and I was worried the same thing would happen. I am so glad I did. My tortoise Francis has been so healthy and such a joy to care for. Good luck!

Lissa

Lansing, Michigan
Hi Lissa, I'm so sorry for the loss of Rexford. I lost my hermann's last year and bought a Greek from Chris at Garden State last March. I was hesitant at first because I felt so bad about losing Nelson and I was worried the same thing would happen. I am so glad I did. My tortoise Francis has been so healthy and such a joy to care for. Good luck!

So good to hear. I'm planning on placing an order today for a January hatchling. Does Rexford's environment look OK? I know it's to big for a baby so I plan on getting a rubbermaid container while she's small.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Looks like you gave her a beautiful home . I had my Nora for over thirty years. . When she was three I put her in a turtle garden outside, and she lived there for all those years. A few years ago I gave her to a friend because I was renovating my yard, but got her back and put her in her new garden, where she was for another year. One morning I went outside to feed the turtles, and found her dead, just sitting on a plant. I didn't even know she was gone. I also just recently lost my Dads box turtle who I inherited when he died. He was well over 65 years old. Having them for so long since they were babies and then loosing them is devastating. I am so sorry you lost your box turtle, and I know how you must feel. I have bought some animals from Chris also. He's really very helpful. Hugs....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So good to hear. I'm planning on placing an order today for a January hatchling. Does Rexford's environment look OK? I know it's to big for a baby so I plan on getting a rubbermaid container while she's small.
So sorry for your loss of Rexford, he was a lovely tort, but this forum will help your next tort have a great start.
Re your enclosure I've never had a baby but I think it would be OK for a baby as I believe they like space to wander too, but I would change the water dish for a flatter shallower terracotta plant saucer to make it easier and safer for your new baby to get in and out of as he/she pleases and probably sterilise anything there you would use etc to make sure that any bacteria has gone, but I expect you've already thought of that. I think your new baby will have a lovely home and I send you all good wishes.

herriotfan

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to read about the loss, it's a difficult time for us when one of our loved ones dies.
R. I. P little one.
I'd highly recommend a Hermanns. I love mine to bits. Such characters.
Mine are in hibernation at the moment and I do miss them. It's a good job I've got my tropical torties to keep me occupied!
Let us know when you get one. In the meantime do lots of research and ask any questions you might have.....

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State

I think your environment looks good, lots of places to hide. Your new baby will be tiny. You will definitely need a shallow water dish like a plant saucer. And then just make sure it can get around ok on those rocks. I was going to post a picture of mine...but the lights are off...tomorrow I can if you want.

Lissa

Lansing, Michigan
I think your environment looks good, lots of places to hide. Your new baby will be tiny. You will definitely need a shallow water dish like a plant saucer. And then just make sure it can get around ok on those rocks. I was going to post a picture of mine...but the lights are off...tomorrow I can if you want.

Yes please send me a pic. Chris said to go smaller for a baby because it will be easier to control the humidity & he said they tend to get lost. The whole cage has been dumped out & stored in the shed. Might make it into a cucumber planter this spring. I'd feel funny using Rexford's old cage for a new tort. Yes the water dish is way too big. I'm really only keeping the turtle shell hide, light & emitter. I'll get a clay planter bottom for her new water dish (learned that here). Thank you for the advise, I need it!

Lissa

Lansing, Michigan
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to read about the loss, it's a difficult time for us when one of our loved ones dies.
R. I. P little one.
I'd highly recommend a Hermanns. I love mine to bits. Such characters.
Mine are in hibernation at the moment and I do miss them. It's a good job I've got my tropical torties to keep me occupied!
Let us know when you get one. In the meantime do lots of research and ask any questions you might have.....
Rexford always did her business in the water dish. Do Hermanns have this habit also? It was really nice, just changed her water dish a couple times a day. Never had to hunt for poops in the dirt. I used chemical free soil, eco earth, reptile bark & sphagnum moss. Is the sphagnum moss bad? I've heard somewhere it holds bacteria. What substrate should I use & how often does it need to be changed?

Lissa

Lansing, Michigan
Looks like you gave her a beautiful home . I had my Nora for over thirty years. . When she was three I put her in a turtle garden outside, and she lived there for all those years. A few years ago I gave her to a friend because I was renovating my yard, but got her back and put her in her new garden, where she was for another year. One morning I went outside to feed the turtles, and found her dead, just sitting on a plant. I didn't even know she was gone. I also just recently lost my Dads box turtle who I inherited when he died. He was well over 65 years old. Having them for so long since they were babies and then loosing them is devastating. I am so sorry you lost your box turtle, and I know how you must feel. I have bought some animals from Chris also. He's really very helpful. Hugs....
Wow that's a long time. Sounds like they had a great life. Rexford had been slowing down this fall but I thought that was normal. She had just had a soak, drank some water then I put her under the emitter. When I came back an hour or so later she was gone. I couldn't believe it. I had to look up how to tell if your turtle had died. I was pretty sure because of her eyes but had to really examine her.
I'm in Michigan so outside is only an option for about 4 months. I did have an enclosure built off our deck, 7×3 with a chicken wire latching lid. I always brought her inside at night (nervous mama). She had never lived outside before last summer. I'm sure it was just her age but could she have gotten something that made her sick outside? She had the exact same substrate, hiding spots & food as inside.