I’m A New Member

Zantino1

Location (City and/or State)
Redlands
My name is Santino and my female sulcata tortoise is named Sheldon. I got her in July of 2013 the lady said she was born in April, but when I got her she was already pyramiding and I didn’t give her the humidity she needed, i was young and didn’t understand the needs she required
But now I know what I should do give her a bath everyday, take her out everyday, I’m giving her a humidifier in her table, by the way she is about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide.
We live in Redlands and I am just trying to set things right for her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

At that size and in your climate, its about time for her to go live outside full time. Frequent soaks and having humidity in your heated night box will help. Here is one way to do it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/#post-828952
Dog houses, deck boxes, and sheds don't work well for this purpose. Gotta make your own, or get someone handy to help you make it. You've also got to heat it correctly. Bulbs and CHE's work well for little tortoises in indoor enclosures, but they don't work well for larger tortoise housed outdoors.

Also, it is very unlikely you can tell the sex on an 8 inch sulcata. They all look female-ish when they are little. You'll be able to tell for sure when your tortoise is 14-16 inches.