10 reasons to consider before buying a tort/turt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Interesting article. There are a few points I'm not sure I agree on (not least being the comment that they're all sooo difficult to take care of--compared to many small mammals, sure, but my Russians and Box turtle were no more difficult to care for than my dogs, or my bearded dragons... And goodness knows less expensive than the former!), but otherwise it makes some good points.

Probably the one thing that really bothers me about that article is that, at the end, after blatantly condemning land-dwelling turtles and tortoises as very difficult, high-maintenance pets, he has the gall to say "...don't be afraid to buy a red eared slider as they are one of the easiest to take care of..." I'll refrain from ranting about that statement here, though, as I've already stated my opinion in the comments section. Just couldn't leave it alone... :p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i totally agree i found it on facebook so thought id post it here see what you guys think! :D

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
tyler0912 said:
i totally agree i found it on facebook so thought id post it here see what you guys think! :D

I seen the same thing that someone posted on FB in a sulcata group. Are in the same group as I am, lol?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think it has some strong points, but a more positive angle would have made me more open to the information. It's a bit discouraging to read.
Either way, probably something good for someone looking to buy a pet on impulse.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that was a bang on article. All of the horrors he was party to are all that we have heard here...."i just rescued this turtle/tortoise that this person had no business owning" ...I think that the article was done well.

Thanks for sharing Tyler :D

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
RE: 10 reasons why not to buy a tortoise...

Thanks for sharing. Articles like this always make me want to keep reading and get more informed about my turtles and tortoise. They really are a lot of work! Even my aquatic turtles are much heftier to care for than I thought when I bought my first RES hatchling 8 years ago. The guy at the pet shop was like "uh, yeah, all he needs is water and rocks. Nothing was mentioned about a heat lamp, UVB, basking spot, filter, proper food......lol. Fortunately "Albert" is still alive. He is 8 pounds and almost dinner plate size! :D

Lou

10 Year Member!
RE: 10 reasons why not to buy a tortoise...

Good read, thanks for sharing!

Though I feel like the author forgot an important reason:

Time commitment, since these guys live for decades.

And in #9 under finances, there should be emphasis on the cost of vet services.

Status
Not open for further replies.