1,2,3 of greek tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

New-to-tortoises

5 Year Member
So tomorrow evening I am picking up my first Greek Tortoise I was told by the shelter owner that professional breeds Greek Tortoise that the one that she has is male he came with a little female and she passed away upon arriving. I've been looking online trying to identify what time he is. Here's the tricky part it is for my fiance who loves tortoise who hasn't had once since he was a boy. The thing is about the male Tortoise is I want it to have a female companion of the same subspiece.

By the way my name is Nikki.

I will post picture tomorrow but i wanted to get this started now by writing this out because the words came to me.

Description of Londonium: His beak is black and on the top of his head has a blackish hexagon at the back of his neck he has a small scute between the bigger two it looks like a little shake shingle off an old house. His coloration is dark on his shell within each scute is yellowish with black marks. His neck is kind of flesh tone color maybe a very light gray. His eyes are more oblong and his leg are dark up to his knee then lighter. The bottom of his shell is parted like an 'm' below his neck.

I will attach picture soon. Any identifying advice?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Pictures will be best for identification purposes.
Most people here (including myself) won't suggest that you get a girlfriend for your tortoise. There are a lot of problems that can accompany that, including bullying for food, bullying for breeding, lack of space, etc. etc.

If you get two tortoises you need to be resigned to the fact that you may need to have two permanent enclosures because they may not be able to (and probably won't) tolerate living together.

Groups of tortoises are another thing, if you had like 3 females to your one male, that would be different because he wouldn't be able to harass just one as much. You need to have a biiig enclosure for that...and again be prepared to separate them all if it comes to that!

New-to-tortoises

5 Year Member
NudistApple said:
Pictures will be best for identification purposes.
Most people here (including myself) won't suggest that you get a girlfriend for your tortoise. There are a lot of problems that can accompany that, including bullying for food, bullying for breeding, lack of space, etc. etc.

If you get two tortoises you need to be resigned to the fact that you may need to have two permanent enclosures because they may not be able to (and probably won't) tolerate living together.

Groups of tortoises are another thing, if you had like 3 females to your one male, that would be different because he wouldn't be able to harass just one as much. You need to have a biiig enclosure for that...and again be prepared to separate them all if it comes to that!

I built a viviaraium. Its two by four feet. I've got a that tank and three others. A breeders tank and a twenty gallon tank. I have it set up because our last tank is occupied by my bearded dragons which actually makes four. I don't mind having two habitats. Is two feet by four big enough?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I think a 4'x3' is considered the minimum for one adult Greek tortoise, and many people feel that is still not large enough. Do you have space for at least two 4'x3' enclosures? I don't know if there are any tortoises that actually stay small enough to live their whole lives in a tank, I don't believe that there are.

New-to-tortoises

5 Year Member
NudistApple said:
I think a 4'x3' is considered the minimum for one adult Greek tortoise, and many people feel that is still not large enough. Do you have space for at least two 4'x3' enclosures? I don't know if there are any tortoises that actually stay small enough to live their whole lives in a tank, I don't believe that there are.

The tortoise that was said to be a greek torties was at his max size he was about 10inch. but there are breeds of mini torti that can fit in the palm of an adults hand. But we live close to my nana who has a large natural garden I was hoping to be able to let him roam. How big does a greek tortoise get? I was told 10inch.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
If it is a male, he shouldn't get over about 6 - 7 inches. About the only greeks that will get to the 10 inch size would be Ibera females.

A 3' x 4' enclosure is still pretty small for even 1 adult.

Get some pics as soon as you can. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My Male Greek is 10.5 inches... They can and do get a lot bigger than 6-7 inches.

A good guideline is to allow a square foot of enclosure per square inch of tort plastron as a minimum size. They like to roam and they do need space.

Status
Not open for further replies.