Why do torts slow down indoors.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
So when my grandad used to take me fishing and all the cows were laying down in the fields, he'd say "it's going to rain because the cows are laying down". This was true and not just my grandad winding me up?
Mooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
(Bark bark) what's that boy storms a coming?" (bark bark) "what's that boy peaches are ready to be picked?" (bark bark) "what's that boy, I'm ugly?" (MEEEOW) " "Yes I wish I was dead as well, no need to remind me."

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I can't speak for anyone else, but my own moods and biological processes shift significantly from winter to summer as well. Me and my family on my father's side suffer from terrible SAD. This is one reason I tolerate all the non-sense of living in "Sunny Southern CA". Further, my area of SoCal, is even more sunny that the rest of SoCal. There is a mountain range that usually holds back the May Gray and June Gloom that is so typical of the city I grew up in near the beach. I live just behind that mountain range. When most of the L.A. basin is socked in under cloud cover, it is sunny and warm at my house. Makes me smile just thinking about it. I'm certain that I've I lived in Seattle I would long ago have joined the ranks of people that make Seattle the suicide capitol of the world year after year.

I find it very implausible that the factors that affect me so profoundly wouldn't also affect tortoises that are living outside my house. Number of sunny days, length of day, intensity of light and UV, temperatures, and barometric pressure are all obvious factors to consider, but Kelly mentioned some others that also deserve consideration.

In the Winter I feel like going into hibernation with my tortoises. I feel sleepy and non-motivated. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the Winter I feel like going into hibernation with my tortoises. I feel sleepy and non-motivated. :(

I can relate. I've been with my wife for 20 years and she knows that come labor day she can expect a big mood shift. Its always been that way. My Dad too. We hate winter. I have to force myself to function. Lucky for me, I have a lot of obligations and responsibilities that keep me moving and active and that helps me get throughout the winter days. But spring time is a glorious time of year for me.