What kind of tortoise do you have?

AnimalLady

They're very personable and people-oriented. They have a lot of personality, and their habits are so very different from other tortoise species. For example, they build a nest like alligators do, and after they deposit the eggs in the nest, they guard it for a couple days.
Wow, that's pretty neat. Can they tuck in their shell? Or are they too big for that?

AnimalLady

I have a 4 year old leopard tortoise that's named Big Daddy Diesel thanks to my husband... and two 1 year old Burmese Black Mountain tortoises (meps) named Simon and Helga.
Ohh, those are neat looking. Almost pancake-ish.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Please forgive my lack of knowledge here.. 2.3 torts... what does that mean? 2 female? 3 male? Something like that?
2 male 3 female

Sometimes you will see 2.3.2 or something. That means 2 male, 3 female, 2 unknown gender

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oh wow! 27! Are most of them housed together?
YES! Of cause........ All housed together in one big box! :D:D:D:D:eek::eek:.

NOT~~. HAHA! Total 7 species. They all have their own indoor (9 so far) and out door(6 so far) enclosures, Some large one are all by themselves, male, female are separated.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
View attachment 155325 I have a Sulcata. Definitely a slave. Spent last night repairing his box that he tore apart yesterday. Have 9 Russians plus a new hatchling. And last but not least 6 Leopards plus a brand new hatchling. Oh and 22 Leopard eggs.
My family and friends really don't understand my voluntary servitude, but I thoroughly enjoy every one of them.
Wow you have a lot!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Any cherries in your group?
Any pix of ALLof yours.. i wanna see!
No Cherries and no new photos of them all.
The second photo shows Pedro in the doghouse. I no longer have Pedro. he was a love machine that I've sent to another member with a lot of lonely females.
tortoises number 1,2 and 3 still have no names.

Attachments

• 20150730_173139.jpg
    20150730_173139.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20150518_150532.jpg
    20150518_150532.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

AnimalLady

The second photo shows Pedro in the doghouse. I no longer have Pedro. he was a love machine that I've sent to another member with a lot of lonely females.

Aw, no names? Why not! How do you bond?! You have to take updated pix, your herd is gorgeous and they deserve a photoshoot! :p:p

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can't believe that nobody yelled at me about the paint marker on the shells.
Without marking them, I couldn't tell easily who was who as I was treating them for roundworms.
Numbers 1,2 and 3 are named 1,2 and 3. Now that I'm sure that #1 is a male and that 2 and 3 are female, maybe they'll get names. I already have a tortoise that size named Julio and then found out that he was a girl.
Maybe I'll do some new pictures this weekend while I work on the pens.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi ed. I love all your torts, but 1,2 and 3 have such nice growth rings. Have you had these from a young age. If not do you know their history of care?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi ed. I love all your torts, but 1,2 and 3 have such nice growth rings. Have you had these from a young age. If not do you know their history of care?
Somebody in Miami contacted me from an old Craigslist ad and said his family was being evicted and he didn't want to just leave them in his yard.
I drove and met him half way. I think I ended up giving him $60. (Whatever was in my wallet.)
I think that they were hatched and raised in Miami. Outdoors. I also don't think that they ever ate anything other than yard weeds and grass before I got them and I've had them less than a year.